Chapter 39: Gotta Get Out

Monica's P.O.V.

I want to rush to the edge of the crack but Ashton grabs me from behind and restrains me, even though my feet are already restricting me so no matter what, I'm unable to approach the spot where he fell. I also want to scream out, but no sound is being produced out of my mouth. The only emotions I'm feeling right now are shock and determination. I'm determined to get out of Ashton's grasp, but as I continue fighting, he suddenly gets stronger, so I give up. He turns me around to face him and pulls me into a hug, the tears now becoming real as I cry into his chest.

My heart feels like it's been torn in two. This is the worst feeling I've ever felt and it hurts so fucking much. My best friend who did everything for me is gone. The one who stood by me every second of every day, busted his ass for me, supported me, saved me, loved me. The one who I could be myself around, the one who always cared about my feelings, the one who always made me happy no matter what the situation was...is gone.

"Alright, Monic—oh," Dr. Jones says, suddenly appearing out of nowhere and causing us to break apart. "Am I interrupting something?"

"It's fine," I respond, finding my voice and quickly wiping the wet tears.

"Oh, good. Let me just take the spells off of you and then I'll explain what's happening next," he starts. Aiming his wand at my shoes, he releases the foot weigh spell and demolishes the shield, making my feet feel super light. "We're all meeting back at the building. Everyone is okay, but we have some major things—oh, hi there!"

Dr. Jones looks over my shoulder at something or someone and Ashton and I turn around.

"It's very hot down there. Unless you want to burn up, I would suggest not going down at all," Michael speaks, standing on the same solid earth as us and pointing at the crack.

I don't even say a word; I take off running, a fresh batch of tears making their way down my cheeks. He doesn't even have time to open his arms for me, but I still have room to throw my arms around him and tightly embrace him. So many thoughts and emotions are running through my brain and body right now but I manage to get out the most important question.

"How did you—?!" I express.

"There's this thing called magic that I surprisingly know how to use," he replies through a smile.

"I thought you died!" I exclaim, hugging him tighter. I don't want to let him go and if anyone tries to force me away from him right now, they'll be in some deep shit.

Dr. Jones clears his throat loudly as an attempt to remember that he's here. "As much as this little reunion is delightful, we need to go. Monica, you can bring them along if you'd like, just as long as they don't do anything distracting."

"Yes, sir," Michael replies with a wink. I keep my arm around him and we walk back over to Ashton and Dr. Jones.

"I'll give you just a little time, but be at the building in about ten minutes," Dr. Jones says, grinning. A second later, he disappears and leaves us three alone.

"You gave us a real scare there, dude," Ashton voices first.

"I thought I would make it, otherwise I wouldn't have jumped," Michael confesses. "It was scary, though. I just kept falling and it took me a while to zap out."

"Well, don't leave me again!" I demand, peering up at him.

"I don't have a choice if you don't let me go," he chuckles.