Chapter 2: End Up Here

Monica's P.O.V.

"It was an accident. I'm sorry," I repeat, hoping they'll listen this time. Calypso, my parents, and I are sitting in the living room discussing the incident I caused. 

"You're lucky nobody got hurt, Monica," Calypso says. "But you still conjured the Execution Spell."

"I didn't know we weren't supposed to use it!" I defend.

"I understand that, but you still did. Therefore, you have a punishment," Calypso responds.

"What?!" I exclaim.

"Honey, he's right," my mum agrees. I groan.

"For the next two weeks, two hours after training, you will be fixing up the dummies we use, by hand. Your wand and anything else that might distract you will be confiscated when you come in to work," Calypso rattles off. 

"The next two weeks?" I complain.

"Yes, and although you don't have training on the weekends, you will still have to come in on Saturdays and Sundays for your service, which means you start tomorrow."

"What? But my birthday's in exactly two weeks, on that Sunday!" I moan, calculating everything out.

"Then this will be a great birthday present for you. Have a nice night," Calypso adds, and then poof! He zaps out from our living room and is gone.

"This isn't fair," I protest.

"It's only for two weeks, honey. Just think: the last day is on your birthday. Isn't that something to be happy about?" my dad suggests. I roll my eyes and head up to my bedroom, sulking the entire walk up the stairs.

Honestly, it was just a simple mistake that technically wasn't my fault and now it's costing me. I didn't mean for all of that to happen! I didn't know we weren't supposed to use the fucking spell! 

I get ready for bed and try to think of happy things. I did have a great time with Tatiana tonight at the movies, even if the movie was a cheesy romantic one. Michael even helped cheer me up before, too. Maybe I should take his offer to watch his band practice, since he's asked me a good amount of times. I don't even know why I decline him every time. Seeing his sad face when I do makes me feel guilty, anyways. Next time, I promise. Next time he offers, I will go. 

And with that, I turn off the lights and crawl under the covers, imagining a life where I don't completely make a fool of myself. 

.

The next morning is Saturday and of course, it's raining. Figures it would be a dreary day when that's exactly how I feel. 

I roll out of bed and get ready for the day, groaning as I do so. I'd rather stay sleeping, but I have to do my service. I quickly get dressed and make myself look acceptable before descending the stairs to the sight of my parents eating breakfast.

"Smells good in here! What did you make me?" I ask, my mood suddenly lightening as I pad into the kitchen.

"Nothing. I ate it all," my dad jokes.

"He's kidding. I left you some pancakes in the pan," my mum answers. I head over to the stove and pull out the remaining pancakes, landing them perfectly on my plate. Decorating them with so many toppings, I sit by my parents at the table and gulp them down.

A knock on the door halts my breakfast and I see Michael standing on our doorstep. Fuck, he probably wants to hang out with me right now, but that's going to have to wait. I shove the rest of my breakfast in my face and grab my bag so I can quickly explain my situation to Michael and head off to the training building.