Sympathy for the Squishy

!! make sure you ** Sympathy for the ... ** chapter before this one! !!

~~~

"I guess I COULD use a few more hours of sleep," (Y/N) drawled.

Nicky sighed in relief and hugged her head. "That's my girl. You deserve it." He suddenly gasped and frowned. "Wait, but now I won't have a reason to be quicker in the Boulder-dash if you're not going to be in cooking class waiting for me!"

(Y/N) scoffed. "As if you were any faster even when I was there in the first place."

"I'm doing my best!"

"Well, you're gonna have to do better than your best if you don't want that detention," Dawn reminded.

"Frankly, I still think Mr. Wigglesworth is stupid for making you tardy just for being a second late," (Y/N) huffed, arms crossed. "You really should speak up or say something about it."

Nicky shrugged. "Well, no use sweating over it now."

"We better get going before we're ALL late to first-period class," Ricky reminded.

"Yeah," (Y/N) nodded. "So Nicky, good luck not getting detention, Dawn, good luck getting  a solo, Ricky, good luck getting a good grade on your exam, Dicky, good luck not talking to Taylie."

Dicky gasped and pretended to sob. "She knows us so well. Suddenly I miss you so much already."

(Y/N) laughed and hugged her best friends. Their voices overlapped as she said thanks to them again and they said goodbye in different ways. Plus Nicky gave her a quick kiss before leaving but soon they all made their way out of the house. Once they were gone, (Y/N) took a deep breath and left out the back door as well.

Finally, she was going to get more sleep.

~~~

The morning went by normally as usual and without (Y/N), it seemed like things were going pretty well. Dawn met up with Ricky and Dicky as they entered the common room together. "I just got a text from (Y/N)!" she reported happily. "She just woke up from a nap and some lyrics came to mind so she's 100% recharged!"

"That's good to hear!" Ricky smiled. "We can tell Nicky he doesn't need to worry anymore.

But the three were shocked to see Nicky seated in the middle of Sadie and two other sympathetic-looking girls. He was crying while holding his backpack, and the girls were frowning at him as he spoke. "Poor Squishy!" Sadie sighed sadly.

"Squishy?" Ricky repeated.

"What's wrong with Squishy?" Dawn asked, alarmed.

Nicky seemed to choke on a sob and shook his head. "They don't know," he cried. "They don't know." Sadie put a hand over her heart and gasped.

"Well, tell us, tell us!" Dicky demanded.

"Will you guys excuse me for one second?"

"Of course!" Sadie reassured. The three girls went to hug him and he sniffled while nodding.

"Thank you," he whispered, sniffling more. "And if it's okay please don't tell (Y/N) about this." The girls, unfazed, nodded while he stood up to walk away. As Nicky wiped his tears, his sad expression suddenly changed to a death glare as he turned to his siblings. "Same goes for you three!"

They looked surprised at the sudden emotional change. "Wow, (Y/N) is going to kick you when she finds out about this," Dicky commented.

"PLEASE DON'T," Nicky gripped his fist and shook his head. "Look, they came to me and I was just trying to pick up the act."