The Buffa-Lowdown

At Edgewood Middle School, there was usually a morning announcement team lead by seventh graders, and our fellow main characters were the team for the rest of the week. Everyone had their respective roles and Ricky was directing and producing it all.

"Alright, everybody have a good show," the boy announced. He went to the sidelines with Principal Tarian, and Dooley and Natlee were the acting cameramen that moved the cameras at Dawn and Mae, the hosts. "In four, three, two..." Ricky pointed to Dawn and Mae, signaling for them to begin.

Ricky's pre-recorded voice sounded out. "You're watching The Edgewood Buffa-Lowdown with our number one morning announcement team, and Shelly with the action cam lowdown. It's Lowdown time!"

"Good morning, Buffaloes!" Dawn said. "She's Mae."

"And she's Dawn!" Mae chirped.

"And we're kicking your day off with all you need to know to be in-the-know Buffalo." At the side, Ricky was mouthing the words proudly. Since he'd written the script, he knew the parts, and Principal Tarian looked at them, amused.

"Hey, Dawn, don't be nervous if you happen to see your parents around school," Mae recited perfectly. "They're just here helping clean up as part of the school's Parent Pitch-in Program."

"That's good to know, Mae. I thought I was gonna be in a trash heap of trouble!" The two laughed together.

"Good one, Dawn."

"Thanks, Mae. Oh, Mae! I'm super excited about the seventh-grade dance next Saturday. Are tickets still available at the school store for $5?"

"They sure are, Dawn. Now let's go to Dicky Harper to get the Lowdown on the haps in the Halls. Dicky?"

The camera switched to Miles', who was in charge of filming Dicky. But the blonde was distracted and was talking to a girl.

"Nice book bag," he complimented. "What do you keep in there?"

"Dicky?" Mae asked again.

"Yeah?"

"Dicky, you're on!" Miles scolded.

"Oh!" Dicky looked at the girl and made a phone with his hand. He whispered, "I'll call you" to the girl before she walked away. "So, with the big dance coming up, this year's hot trend is elaborate dance proposals, or what the kids are calling 'dance-posals'." Suddenly, confetti burst out and he looked over. "Oh, as you can see, one just happened." The two kids hugged one another before walking off. "Here come the janitors now to clean up the mess." Dicky walked over to Anne and Tom that were dressed in janitor's uniforms. "Hello, people who look like sadder versions of my parents." From her place, (Y/N) nearly choked when she heard that. "What's the old people's take on dance-posals?"

"Oh, I think they're sweet," Anne said, smiling.

But then Tom took the mic from his son. "Thanks," he said, and looked directly into the camera. "I don't get it. Back in my day, you just walked up to a girl, barely looked her in the eye, and just asked."

"Well, it might've been nicer if you'd made a little more of an effort."

"Well, I got the answer from you I wanted, without littering!" From his place, Nicky glanced over at (Y/N), who looked at him making a disappointed shake of the head. (Y/N) giggled a bit. "Back to you Dicky." Tom gave the mic back to the boy.

"Thanks," he said, looking down. "Oh, you missed a spot. Now, to Nicky with the Lowdown on lunch."

The camera switched Nicky in his chef's outfit, who removed the lid from the plate. "Thanks, Dicky. Today's menu: meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. Now, this is a heavy dish so rather than pairing with a fuller-bodied whole milk, I suggest going with a well-chilled skim." He gestured to the picture that flashed beside him. "But as always, my recommendation is..." He put the lid back on the lunch. "Pack your own lunch. Now Avery with the birthdays."