Chapter 28

Oblivion is both a bliss and bane. It makes you forget the cause of the pain but the searing sensation of it still lingers on your skin. You feel hollow and empty and you have no idea why.
Oblivion is solace and suffocation, panic and peace all intricately entwined.

Voices like hushed whispers rang in my ears as soon as my mind started working again. Incoherent sentences that I could barely register. Some words that do caught my attention were;

Okay

Doctor

Medical care

Faint

I didn't want a doctor. I thought.

I mean I did need a doctor but not here. Not in front of my mate or anyone from the coven. I didn't want anyone of them to know what was wrong with me. I didn't want them to know I was ill and was dying a little everyday. No. I didn't want that.

So before this could escalate any further, I forced myself to wake up.

Wrong move.

My pupil were moving but my eyelids stayed shut. My finger was throbbing with just a slight movement. And I couldn't feel the rest of my body. All I wanted to do was sleep for days or weeks or even possible, for months straight. My body was crushed by the exhaustion as it crept up on me.

Sick.

Another word reached my ears. It was probably Gina. I wasn't sure. But someone said it and it raised panic.

No. I'm not sick. Tired, yes. But not sick. I wanted to just get up and shout it out loud. I couldn't let them think I was sick.

Frantic, I willed myself to make some noise. Anything that might draw their attention on a helpless human on the bed. Moving my body wasn't an option and my throat felt like arid land. However, I had to make some noise.

With considerable efforts a whimper left me.

"Emmaliese." It was him, my mate, Caius. I could feel his cold hands suddenly holding my own dead one and honestly, I could feel my cells going alive under the tingles.

Traitors. My entire body was a traitor.

Although, I took the opportunity and tried grabbing his hand too as I whispered "water."

Immediately, I felt him lifting my head up and a glass with wet corner touching my lips.

My barely opened, chapped lips felt the water seeping in. I could feel it in my mouth, sliding through my throat and deep down in the back of my chest. The coldness caused my inside to shiver but helped them wake up as well.

I tried again to open my eyes but my eyelids felt stuck as if they were glued on my cheek bones.

"On.... eyes," My voice was still hoarse. "Water... on my eyes." As the words left me I felt a cold, wet finger brushing over my closed eyelids. It wasn't Caius because the sparks were stationary at the back of my supported head and on the palm of my hand under his hold.

The finger brushed twice over my eyelids and on my lashes, as if separating each and every hair strand. The touch was soft and gentle.

"It's okay now." I interrupted the movement.

And this time when I tried, my eyes opened. Thankfully, the room was not blindingly lit so it was not that straining to adjust my vision.

The first person that came into my view was Jane. Holding a quarter filled glass of water in her hand, she had worry written over her face.