CHAPTER 17 (part II)

Dead

That was what Bella used to call my sleeping form.

"You sleep like dead, Emms."

I was well aware of it. And I loved it.

Sleeping like having no care in the world was a previledge according to me. Especially at my age, with all the drama and life threatening situation popping up like popcorns, caramelised with hauntingly beautiful companions, blackheads were an unwanted hassle, I didn't want to give two fucks about.

So I blamed it on my deep sleep, when I dozed off in the airplane seat and woke up tucked under a blanket, on a big comfy bed, in a dimly lit room.

Maybe it was a dream, a very vivid one. It felt almost surreal.

I was not fully awake, was still in a sleepy haze. I could not see my surroundings clearly, my eyes were only partially opened, but I found myself on a bed that was much bigger than the bed in my room back in Forks.

As if sensing my awakened state, a tall figure stepped forward. The light from the lampshade filtered through his white gold mane, illuminating his ruby eyes, sparkling on his pale skin.

My heart took up the rhythm of the  unusual heartbeat, that was my body's natural response towards him.

Standing there, right beside my bed, in a black tux, was my mate. Caius Volturi.

Yet I didn't know if he was real or was just a perfect piece of art, incarnated by my fondest memories and my evil mind.

Hallucination was not foreign to me now. The never ending longing for him, incorporated that trait very well in me.

Strangely, at that moment I didn't care what was real and what was not. Maybe because I was still sleepy, partly conscious or whatever weird dreamy state my mind was in, I just didn't think twice, before crawling towards him on all fours and seated myself on his lap, as soon as he sat down on the side of the bed.

He didn't push me away nor rudely brushed me off. Instead he cradled me in his arms like a baby. His face though contrary to his action, transformed into a hard expression, devoid of any affection. But that didn't faze my sleepy self at all. Instead it put a lazy smile on my face. Just being this close to him, feeling mild tingles rushing through my body, soothing all the pain I had been enduring these past months, it all felt right.

We were like two pieces of a puzzle, created centuries apart, to fulfill each other.

Everything aside, that moment right there, was right.

I must have imagined a small smile on his 'exclusively crafted by god' face, before I closed my eyes and fell asleep once again. This time, in a more deep and relaxing sleep.

The type that refreshed my entire being the following morning.

***********

I snuggled closer to the coldness. Surprisingly it did not feel uncomfortable at all. If anything, it felt better than any warmth I had back in Forks. Afraid I would lose the comfort, I did not want to wake up, although I knew I was not getting any kind of sleep anymore.

I had no idea where I was, so reluctantly I opened my eyes to analyse my surroundings, only to meet the crimson eyes, staring back at me.

It was him. It was really him, cradling me. I moved my hand to gently touch his paper like skin. He didn't flinch at all when my finger traced across his face . He was as still as an effigy, crafted by the Lord himself. I cupped his cheek with my palm, astonishingly he slightly leaned against my touch. I felt his lips with my thumb. Soft and plump.