(12)

"alright, where is sergeant McLaughlin?" price called through the kitchen/common area, spotting me.

"afternoon captain." i greeted, washing up ghost and i's bowls.

"come with me please." he grabbed my wrist and dragged me down the hall.

"captain i'm in my pajamas, what is so urgent?" i asked.

"we need a sniper, and you're perfect for it once we get you the right rifle." he walked me to the armory.

"bring a few, we're gonna take you over to the range, get a feel for what you like, and the perfect one is all yours." he smiled.

"thank you captain, but what about ghost?" i asked.

"he needs to be on the ground, you're our eyes in the sky for now, sweets." he handed me a few cases.

"yes sir." i nodded, walking them over to the range.

"set up how you please, i'll put them together and take them apart for you, you've just got to shoot 'em." he carried more in.

i opened the first case on top and assembled it as price moved the crate, putting it on the ground beside me and opening the next.

i set up, aimed and fired.

it kicked back into my eye.

"ah!" i yelled as i jumped back, clutching my eye.

"too much recoil, you ok?" he asked, moving my hand to check my eye.

i'd burst a blood vessel but i was otherwise fine.

"too much recoil." i nodded, picking up the next as he disassembled the old one.

i set up once again, firing it.

it got very hot very fast, burning my hand slightly.

"defective, i'll fix her later." i put it aside as price handed me the next.

we went through 4 before we found the perfect one for me.

i aimed, and shot.

it recoiled into my shoulder but not enough to hurt too bad.

it shot nice, clean, and fairly quiet for a sniper rifle.

"this is the one." i smiled.

"i'll have it serviced and cleaned up for you. next mission is in two days, so try and get those stitches out of your head if you can." he smirked, taking the rest of the rifles back into the armory.

"i'll do all its cleaning and repairs, i used to work for the local range when i was a youngin." i said as i packed away mine, taking its case with me to my room.

i walked back and grabbed a toolbox, opening it and grabbing a few bits and bobs i'd need to clean it.

"there's a scope for that rifle too, it's somewhere around here. if i don't find it today you can look tomorrow." price called as i left.

i set my things down on my bed and pulled the rifle apart, cleaning every piece and fixing it up with a shine rag.

i found the scope buried in the bottom of the case and gave that a good clean too, pulling it all apart and putting it away.

my thoughts were interrupted when i heard yelling down the hall.

i didn't think much of it, putting my rifle case away under my bed with the rest of my guns and bits.

i heard cheering and hitting join the yelling and decided to go have a look.

someone had decided to start a fight with soap and they were beating the shit out of eachother.

i sighed, realizing that i'd be the one to break it up.

"all right lads, come on now." i called, walking up to them.

the small crowd surrounding them kept encouraging their behavior.

"lads come on, break it up." i pushed my way through the circle surrounding them.

they didn't stop.

"i said break it up!" i yelled, getting low and tackling the other guy around the hips.

"jesus fucking christ we aren't children so why are 'ye acting like it?" i yelled at the two as the crowd dispersed.

"he hit me first!" soap whined.

"start a fight with one of my men again and i'll turn your empty sack into earrings. go!" i yelled at him, watching the other guy slink off.

"you alright soap?" i asked, turning to face my favourite scot.

"just dandy, he got me good though." he said, rubbing his jaw.

i moved his hand and saw a bright red punch mark.

"open." i said, pulling his chin down.

his mouth opened.

"close." i instructed, watching his jaw close.

"it's not broken, you'll live." i kissed his jaw gently.

"thank you sarge, but i don't need you to kiss it better." he rolled his eyes playfully.

"of course you do, everyone needs me to kiss it better." i smiled.

"hey sarge, on that note i just got punched in the dick, think you can help?" some guy joked.

i kept the smile on my face and my gaze on soap as i turned and socked the guy in the face, waving goodbye to soap as i left.

"bitch." the guy muttered.

"what was that?" i asked.

he didn't reply.

"i believe your sergeant just asked you to repeat yourself. speak." i turned and grabbed him by the collar.

"nothing sergeant." he shook his head.

"that's right." i nodded, walking off.