(4)

when we had finished up, it was past lights out.

"soap?" i asked as we walked back to my living quarters.

"yes sergeant?"

"can i sleep with you tonight? i just...i don't think i can be alone after all that."

he hesitated for a few moments.

"nevermind, forget i asked." i shook it off.

"no, no please stay. i don't want to know you're alone and scared when you could be safe with me." he took my hands.

this was not the soap anyone ever saw the side of.

not even me.

until now at least.

"thank you." i whimpered, more tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

he pulled me into a hug, holding my face to his chest as he softly patted my hair.

"i'm so sorry, i should have told you. but we aren't allowed to blab about kidnap and torture drills, i didn't know he would go that far, i swear." he rambled, opening his door and letting me inside.

"i understand john, really there isn't much you could have done." i said, watching as he stripped his vest and boots off, grabbing a pair of pajama shorts and quickly changing out of his military pants.

"take my bed, i'll sleep on the floor." he said softly, grabbing a blanket from his bag.

"why don't we just share your bed? if that's ok with you at least? we've done worse together." i chuckled, sniffing back tears.

"you sure you're ok with that after tonight?" he checked.

"positive, i just want to feel safe again." my accent so similar and yet so different to his.

he crawled into bed, scooting right over for me to get in.

i crept under his sheets, his jumper draped loosely from my body.

i rolled, my back against his chest as he curled his arm around my side, cuddling me close to him.

"body heat works better than blankets. sweet dreams 8 ball." he kissed my head gently as we drifted off to sleep.

~~~

i woke up the next morning and slid out of soap's bed, grabbing my things and leaving to get a change of clothes and my towel from my room.

when i opened the door, it looked like it'd been ransacked.

i grabbed a sports bra, underwear, uniform pants, a clean black shirt, socks, boots and a few hair ties, throwing my towel over my shoulder and stumbling off to the shower block.

i ran the hot water, stripping soap's jacket off of me and resting it with my own clothes.

i stepped into the water and began to sob, sitting on the ground, my knees tucked to my chest as the stress of last night washed back over me.