(7)

early chapter bc y'all got me to 400 reads in under a week <33

i saw a few guys standing behind the truck, too scared to open it, with a man in black coveralls and a cap pinned on the ground, cuffed.

"sergeant!" graves called to me.

"yes commander?" i answered.

"you spent time on bomb squad, yeah?" he asked.

"yes sir." i nodded.

"you're up then kid." he said, handing me a knife.

i looked at the closed truck and got around to the back roller doors.

i stuck my ear to it, listening for any kind of ticking or tripwire.

i heard no trap, so i carefully opened it, seeing a shotgun trap rigged to shoot the person opening the door, and a large bomb behind it.

"everybody down, hit the deck!" i yelled, waiting for everybody to get down before i climbed out of the way, ripping open the door.

the shotgun fired and i climbed into the container.

i disarmed it and put the gun down, admiring the bomb for a moment.

"sergeant, can you disarm it?" graves asked.

"i've never seen one this big, i'm gonna need a star screwdriver, and bolt cutters." i called, immediately looking for wires and seeing they were secured by screws.

"go, go get a toolbox." he ordered someone as i snuck around, looking for a timer.

5 minutes.

4 minutes 59 seconds.

4 minutes 58 seconds.

it was counting down.

"commander we may not have time, my best shot is to get this truck out to empty ground and run." i called.

"try and disarm it first, if that doesn't work, then you can drive it out."

"commander i do not have enough time to try both." i glared.

"sergeant i am ordering you to try and disarm it first."

i rolled my eyes to myself, nodding as i picked up a bundle of wires.

"they change colour, i can't tell which is which or which leads where." i sighed.

"here, toolbox." graves handed me a box full of screwdrivers and drills.

i grabbed a pre-loaded drill and unscrewed the first bracket.

i saw the colored wires going into their ports.

i grabbed wire cutters and took a deep breath, going for the yellow wire first.

i snipped it and the time halved.

2 minutes.

"graves we have 2 minutes, i'm not sure i can get this disarmed in time." i called.

"keep trying!" he yelled.

i clipped the blue wire next and the countdown slowed, decreasing every 2 seconds instead of every second.

"i bought us some time, but not much." i called back, clamping down on the green wire next.

the countdown halved again.

"one minute graves!" i yelled, panicking slightly.

"it's a suicide bomb, decreases every time you hit a wire." one of the men yelled.

"hurry up sergeant." graves ordered.

i clipped the red next, the countdown decreased to 10 seconds.

"everybody run! 10 seconds." i yelled, hearing men go sprinting behind me.

i clipped the final black wire and the countdown hit zero.

i hit the deck, putting my hands over my head to no result.

"see you soon." the timer screen displayed as it went dark.

i did it.

i disarmed it.

"graves! i did it!" i yelled excitedly.

"get that fucking thing out of here now, it could go off any second now." he warned.

i nodded and closed the container, getting into the cabin and speeding off into an empty field behind us that was usually used as an airstrip.

i got out and sprinted back to the building, hearing a massive explosion behind me.

i turned and was greeted with the force of a billion punches throwing me into the sky and the ground.

i landed and rolled, coughing as the cloud went up in flames. 

"McLaughlin!" a familiar brit yelled, picking me up and helping me inside.

"ghost, i'm fine. put me down." i ordered.

he dropped me to my feet, looking at me with worry.

"you nearly fucking died out there, what were you thinking?" he yelled, grabbing my shoulders tightly.

"i was following orders." i looked down at my feet, avoiding eye contact.

"dear god, never do something stupid like that again." he pulled my body against his, wrapping an arm around my head and holding it to his chest.

i was barely as tall as his shoulders.

"ghost? you alright there bud?" i asked, looking up at him.

"i thought i was gonna lose you before i could do this." he said, softly pushing me up from his chest.

he lifted the bottom of his balaclava and bent down, pressing his soft lips harshly against mine.