68. Way to My Heart

'A raven, my king, from the Citadel.'

'This message was sent to me by Samwell Tarly. He was my brother at the Night's Watch, a man I trust as much as anyone in this world. He's discovered proof that Dragonstone sits on a mountain of dragon glass.' Jon exclaimed reading it out loud. There was a murmured excitement. 'I received this a few days ago from Dragonstone. It was sent to me by Tyrion Lannister.' Jon went on 'He is now Hand of the Queen to Daenerys Targaryen. She intends to take the Iron Throne from Cersei Lannister. She has a powerful army at her back and, if this message is to be believed, three dragons.'

'Lord Tyrion has invited me to Dragonstone to meet with Daenerys. And I'm going to accept.' Jon told them and there was an out rage from his people.

'Accept?!'

'We need this dragon glass, my lords! We know that dragon glass can destroy both white walkers and their army. We need to mine it and turn it into weapon. But more importantly, we need allies! The Night King's army grows larger by the day. We can't defeat them on our own. We don't have the numbers. Daenerys has her own army and she has dragon fire. I need to try and persuade her to fight with us. Ser Davos and I will ride for White Harbor tomorrow, then sail for Dragonstone.' Jon told them

'Have you forgotten what happened to our grandfather?' sansa reminded him. 'The Mad King invited him to King's Landing –'

'and roasted him alive!'

'- I know that. She is here to reclaim the Iron Throne and the Seven Kingdoms. The North is one of those seven kingdoms.' Jon told her.

'This isn't an invitation; it's a trap.'

'It could be, but I don't believe Tyrion would do that. You know him. He's a good man.' Jon told them. "Amelia-"

"Still a Lannister, the both of them." 

"They have never once shown to be violent or cruel." Jon countered. 

'Your Grace, with respect, I must agree with Lady Sansa. I remember the Mad King all too well. A Targaryen cannot be trusted.'

'- Nor can a Lannister.'

'Yeah!'

'Aye!'

'We called your brother king. And then he rode south and lost his kingdom. Winter is here, Your Grace. We need the King in the North in the North.'

'Aye!' they agreed and started pounding their fists on the table

'You all crowned me your king. I never wanted it. I never asked for it. But I accepted it because the North is my home. It's part of me, and I will never stop fighting for it, no matter the odds. But the odds are against us. None of you have seen the Army of the Dead. None of you. We can never hope to defeat them alone. We need allies, powerful allies. I know it's a risk. But I have to take it.' Jon told them confidently.

'Then send an emissary. Don't go yourself.'

'Daenerys is a queen. Only a king can convince her to help us. It has to be me.' Jon told them

'You're abandoning your people! You're abandoning your home.'

'I'm leaving both in good hands.' Jon assured.

' Whose?' Sansa questioned.

'Yours. You are my sister. You're the only Stark in Winterfell. Until I return, the North is yours.' Jon told her.

+

"The bastard of winterfell." 

"The dwarf of casterly rock." Jon countered. 

'I believe we last saw each other the wall.'

'I believe you were pissing off the wall' Jon agreed.

'It's been a long road' Tyrion remarked 

'It certainly has' Jon agreed.

'Welcome to Dragon Stone the queen knows it's a long journey and she thank you on your behalf' Messandei told Jon and his men 'if you won't mind turning over your weapons...'

"Of course..." Jon answered hesitantly. "Tyrion, you should know that Amelia is at Winterfell."

"She is? She's alright?" Tyrion asked amazed that she survived. After everything he assumed her long gone when she didnt return after the starks demise. 

"Yes... she," Jon chuckled. "She is a real life saver." Jon admitted. 

"Yeah?" 

"She saved Rickon. Ramsay Bolton, he... it doesnt matter, he's gone now but Amelia, she saved Rickon." Jon informed him. 

"She's safe at winterfell?" Tyrion asked. 

"Yes." But now that he was gone and he put Sansa in charge he did worry for Amelia a bit. 

"That is such a relief." Tyrion remarked. "I'm really glad she is alright.''

+

"Amelia are you going to come out?" Rickon asked peering under the covers. 

"I wasnt planning on it." Amelia mused staring up at him. 

"I figured as much, so I brought food." RIckon told her and she sat up in bed as he climbed in next to her. 

"Thanks RIckon." 

"We are family. I don't care what Sansa says." Rickon told her. "You, me and Bran... we went through a lot and I believe in you." 

"Thanks..." Amelia whispered kissing his temple. 

"Apple pie." Rickon asked handing her a plate. 

"Way to my heart." Amelia told him as he put the plate between them and handed her a fork.