16. Ranger

" I wanted to be here when you saw it for the first time. I'm leaving this morning." Benjen told Jon

'You're leaving?'

''I'm the First Ranger. My job is out there. There have been disturbing reports.'' Benjen confirmed

'What kind of reports?' Jon asked

''The kind I don't want to believe.''

''I'm ready. I won't let you down.'' Jon said eagerly.

''You're not going. You're no ranger, Jon.' Benjen said with a chuckle

''But I'm better than every...'

''Better than no one!' Benjen corrected 'Here... A man gets what he earns, when he earns it. We'll speak when I return''

'His lungs and his heart all fried up but when you're 100 miles north of the wall if you ask me you leave nothing for the wolves.'

'And how do bears balls taste?' Tyrion questioned.

''A bit chewy. What about you my Lord what is the strangest thing you've eaten?' Tyrion just chuckled.

'Do dornish girl count?' Tyrion questioned. 'Ah Ranger Benjen... you wander the seven kingdoms collecting pickpockets and horse thieves bringing here?' Tyrion questioned.

'Well it's not all bad, some of them are just poor lads looking to be set free some of them are highborn lads looking for glory.' Benjen told them. 'The nights watch is important but you must think us a bunch of jesters and fools?' Benjen questioned.

'You don't have enough men to be an army.' Tyrion informed them taking a sip from his jug.

'You have plenty of stories to tell when you go back to Kings Landing when you're drinking your wine down there enjoying your brothels, half the boys you see training will die north the wall. Might be sickness might just be the cold they die in pain and they do it so plump little lords like you can enjoy afternoons of peace and comfort.' Benjen told him.

'Do you think I'm plump?' Tyrion questioned. 'Listen Benjen, may I call you benjen? I'm not sure what I've done to offend you I have great admiration for the nights watch and I have great admiration for you as a first ranger-' Tyrion told him.

'You know your brother once told me that nothing anyone says before the word but really counts.' Benjen said waiting for the But.

'But,' Tyrion added 'I don't believe that Giants and ghouls and white walkers are looking beyond the wall. I believe that the only difference between us in the wildlings are in that wall was built and our ancestors just so happen to live on the right side of it.'

'the Wildlings are no different from us, a little rougher maybe but they are made of meat and I know how to track them. I know how to kill them so the Wildlings give the slickest blades... you've never been north of the wall so don't tell me what's out there.' Benjen said getting up.

'You're going below?' Yoren questioned benjen nodded. 'Keep warm and keep safe.'.

'Enjoy the capital' Benjen said leaving.

"I always do." Yoren agreed

" I think he's starting to like me. "Going below" ?'' Tyrion asked

''Into the tunnel and out the other side. He'll be north of the Wall for a month or two.' Yoren told him

'So you're heading down to King's Landing too.' Tyrion remarked

''Day after tomorrow. I get about half of my recruits from their dungeons.'