"Will you stay with me 'til then?" - rain x fem!reader

rain x fem!readerangst!! suggestive; alludes to sex

rain x fem!reader
angst
!! suggestive; alludes to sex

❣︎

Rain had known something was off. In fact, he had noticed it months ago. The way that his lover smiled less and less and then eventually altogether, the way that she slowly stopped trying to find him at various points during the day just to tell him about something interesting she saw, and how she stopped spending the night in his bed more than her own. Her scent was once seemingly permanent and weaved within the spaces between the thread of his sheets, but it's been days since the last time they even took a nap together and Rain is more than worried she is unhappy with him.

So now he finds himself in front of her chamber doors. The sun has already gone down and mostly everyone in the abbey has been sent to bed for the night. Well, as it seems, everyone but his lover. The remnants of candlelight tease the bottom edge of the door and Rain takes that as his invitation to knock. He shouldn't need an invitation but for some reason he feels out of place. He feels like a stranger. His knuckles shake. He doesn't know why.

When the heavy wooden door that guards her room finally opens up Rain is smacked in the face with a confusing array of scents and a dull pair of eyes. "Rain?"
He enters the threshold without another thought and pulls his favorite girl to his chest. Her warm and familiar scent is still there but it's overcome with the stench of sadness and something else much more complex. He holds her tight and supports her form as she falls limp against his thin frame, a wave of tears washing over her cheeks and into his shirt. She doesn't hold him back. Her hands stay glued to her chest and balled into fists. His heart ties itself into a knot.

When he looks past her he sees a collection of boxes and suitcases in a room that barely resembles the one that he's spent countless hours in. The walls and the floors are all the same, and the window pane still has the mark where they'd written their names together in the condensation, but the life has been completely stripped away. They stand, intertwined, within a void. Her comfort, her memories, her scent- all shoved away into boxes and bags.

"Are you moving rooms?" Rain finally asks, and it sounds absolutely ridiculous coming from his mouth, but he has to ask as he just stands there and prays to Lucifer that maybe this isn't as bad as it looks.

But it must be as bad as it looks, because his heart plummets and shatters into a million pieces when his favorite human cannot gather together enough space between her tears to answer his question. A second wave of nauseating emotions hits his nose and Rain digs his claws deep into the fabric of her night clothes. "What's wrong? Why're you hurting?"

"I'm leaving," she manages to choke out. Her face stays buried in the ghoul's chest, afraid of what he might say or do in response. She knows how ridiculous it sounds, she doesn't have anything else to say. It only worries her more when he takes a moment to respond.