Moon Fire

Chapter Five~ Moon Fire

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

The walk to the dragons den was silent, The moon was full and the stars above watched as the two youngest children of the king walked down the stone path admiring the company of the other without saying a word.

Aemond did not know why Rhaella had dragged him out here, so when they arrived at the opening to the cave where the Dragons were kept, he dared to ask. "What are we here for."

The question earned a smirk from Rhaella, she took his hand and lead him into the darkness within the stone.

"I'm sure you've heard the stories that whenever a Targaryen is born the Gods flip a coin." Aemond nodded, his father had told him the tale. "Well they also give us our Dragons before we take our first breath." She continued. "Some hatch when a babe cries for the first time, some will live for a hundred years before it is time for them to call out to us."

But Aemond was confused, he did not have a dragon, Even Rhaella herself had not bonded hers till she was eight. "But till they need us, we shall be continue on our own path." She headed towards the gate that lead to the Dragon caves beneath the castle on the shore. "You, Aemond are the latter, you have your dragon already." Aemond felt excitement mix in his stomach. "You just have to wait for it to call."

Rhaella stopped at the bottom of the steps, looking back at Aemond before laughing lightly. Aemond knew then where she had taken him.

Vermithor.

The Dragon had passed maturity and still seemed to grow, he was the second largest in the land and was the only one in the red keep allowed to roam freely, after he murdered an entire team of keepers when they tried to chain him after he was claimed by Rhaella. He was a magnificent Bronze shade, his scales glowed in the dim light of the cave. His white eyes snapped to Aemond, staring dangerously. But when the Dragon saw Rhaella approaching his eyes softened bowing his head to his bonded.

"In the old religion, It is said under the full moon, The god Gaelthiox Gifts Valaeriyons, with images of the future." she told as she ran her hand along the side of Vermithors face. "I have seen you on a dragon Aemond, I have seen Myself with children with Hair as white and eyes as magical as any, And I have seen one of our Mothers children ascend the Iron throne." She told him.

His curious spark took over and he took a cautious step toward Rhaella and her Dragon. "How do you do it." Was the question he asked, though his heart was telling him to ask about the things she had told him.

"Moon fire."

Moon fire had been another tale of old Valyria, it was said to be flames that carried messages from God to man, breathed by Dragons under a moon in it's true form.

Aemond shook his head advancing toward her now ignoring how Vermithor growled. "How do you mean Rhaella, You can't mean to tell me-

She held a hand up to stop his sentence. She took his hand and lead him infront of her Dragon. "Mãzīz vermithor." she told him as she lead Aemond onto the shore. "I have done it before Aemond."

Aemond could hear the heavy steps of the Dragon following them. "I cannot allow it."

"I will ask when." Rhaella told him, staring into his eyes. "When will you get your Dragon."

He let her statement cloud his judgement, If she was telling the truth, she would be able to tell him when his Dragon would come.

She Dropped his hand and walked in front of Vermithor, calling out to him. "Gaelithox!" She shouted into the sky, staring at the glow of the moon. "Gaelithox!" She called again.

Aemond waited but nothing happened, he was about to call out to her, but Vermithor opened his mouth, letting out a fury of blue flames, them engulfing Rhaella's figure. He ran to her side.

•• •• ••

She stood in a black abyss waiting for the first sign of life. She thought of Aemond and called out into the Darkness. "When!" She shouted.

Suddenly she heard the roar of the Dragon, thinking her question had been answered. But when she turned her head she was watching a battle.

Two heads of white fighting among the clouds. A glimpse and she knew one of the figures to be Aemond, she only saw a half of his face but she knew it to be him. He was older now, Battling Another man in the sky, who it was she could not be sure, for a split second she thought it to be her Father, but he would not have ever bonded with another Dragon.

She could not see which Dragons were involved in the battle. She could hear sounds of war coming from the beast and the men alike.

After what felt like an eternity of watching, a sword was lifted into the air, and plunged through her Aemonds head, it was as if he was reaching out to her as he fell from the sky and she felt as though she was falling with him, "Rhaella!" He shouted. Her hand could not offer him the life line he was begging for.

She tried with all her might to reach him, plummeting through the air with nothing but the clothes on her back, trying to save him. "Aemond!" She screamed and when she saw the ground growing closer and closer she shut her eyes ready for impact, ready to die.

•• •• ••

The flames of blue extinguished when he dropped to his knees by he side. Her clothes had burned off, she stood barefoot, burnt and naked on the sand.

"Rhaella." He shouted, but she appeared still in a trance. He unhooked the cloak from his shoulders and wrapped it around her body clasping it closed for her to keep her dignity her own. "Rhaella!" He wiped the ash away from her cheeks as best he could, then he leant down slightly to look in her eyes.

It was then she was released from the moon. "Aemond!" She gasped flinging her arms around him tightly. "Oh, Aemond." Tears fell from her eyes as she held onto him.

He held her back. "What's the matter."

She did not know why she made the choice not to tell him that night.

Perhaps things may of ended very differently if she had told him that night on the beach.

She forced a smile. Placing a hand on his cheek.

He smiled back. "You know when." He laughed. "You know when my Dragon will call."

"Soon." She laughed. "Very soon."

He cheered into the night. And she laughed once more.

But she secretly hoped a Dragon would never call on him. Because if one did, the chances of the fire moons story had more of a chance of happening.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅