Usurping The Throne

Chapter Seventeen~Usurping
The Throne

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

Alicent sent for maesters, to take the children back to the nursery. "Let them take the children Rhaella." Her Mother told her.

Rhaella shook her head. "My children will remain by my side until Aemond returns." She would not change her mind on this. She had to protect them, keep them safe from the snakes that slithered their way into the minds of everyone that surrounded her.
"I will return to my chambers and await my husband's return." She announced. "Have someone fetch some toys for my children."

She had the three youngest children hold hands. Vaegon holding onto hers. Aegor crying in her other arm. She rushed them to her rooms, placing the baby Aegor in a crib by the fireplace, putting her other children to sleep in her bed.

She sat with her wolfhound by the door. Her knife in hand.

Insanity was a parasite of the mind, it ate away like a maggot on fruit.  Her head cursed her again with images of war. But not just one. Hundreds of them. Death followed her like a plague. The spoils of war would reach the castle floor. It would steal her children away to keep in a box of victims.

But she could not allow it to happen. Even if it meant killing her brother and giving Rhaynera the throne. She could only hope Aemond would do as she wished.

She didn't know when she let herself slip into a slumber, but she was startled awake when her door was slammed open. She gripped her knife and held it up at the intruder, only to realize it was her husband.

"Relax." He muttered, he sounded frustrated. He walked to the middle of the room and looked down at three of his children lay in his bed sound asleep.

"What happened?" She questioned stepping cautiously toward him. "Aemond, what happened?" She said again when he didn't answer her.

"Prepare yourself for the crowning of a king." He said staring out of the window at the city.

"You brought him back?!" She cried, she did not understand. "Why?!"

He turned to face her. "I tried!" He shouted back, Aegor starting to cry. "But Cole, the fucking cunt."

This was not good at all.

"Are you going to tell me what's the matter with you?" He asked.

Rhaella thought for a minute, rocking the babe in her arms. She couldn't decipher the visions she had herself, she'd gone mad trying to. And Aemond would not help. He was the one with the level head. Well level enough. "No."

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

Aegon was crowned on the morrow, Thousands of people forced to the dragons keep to watch Him steal his sisters crown.

Rhaella had been instructed to wear a dress designed by her mother, similar to that of the queens old wedding dress. It was Hightower green, golden coins securing the breast plait together with Dainty chains. It pooled behind her, an overly large train with a golden dragon embroidered into it.

She hated it, it did nothing for her complexion and certainly nothing for her hair. It was a perfect picture for her mother though, who had quite clearly been preparing for this to already have had, Aegons crest pressed into the fabric.

She felt sick. She could hear voices in her mind, whispering sickening things to her about the fallout of this treason.

When she saw her brother, the night before he had begged her for a way out, Asking her to help him cross the sea so he could disappear. He'd said Aemond could take the crown if they so wished it, have her as queen. And her mind fought an internal battle, she had no control of her own thoughts anymore. She thought about having the thrown. But she wanted to escape it all at the same time.

And when her brother knelt before her begging on his knees, he looked nothing like a king. But she could not help him out of a prison she was also trapped in.

"People of kings landing!" Otto announced to the growing crowd. "Today is the saddest of days."

Rhaella wore green, it seemed all she wore these days. She felt like a doll, designed in her mothers image, to be the perfect princess. She knew she should wear black, the colour of death's cloak. But the queen forbid it. She stood to the left of Aemond, Helaena on her other side.

"Our beloved king, Viserys the peaceful is dead." The news travelled all the way to the back of the crowd, through shocked whisper. "But it is also the most joyous of days, for as his spirit left us, He whispered his final wish that his first born son, Aegon, should succeed him!"

Rhaella knew it to be a lie. Wether his mother was just clinging onto the words of a dying man or she had made it up entirely, it was a lie.

Aegon was not meant to rule.

He knew it himself. And now as he walked beneath the raised swords of his soldiers she could see the unwanted look in his eyes. He did not know what he belonged too. But he knew it wasn't himself.

They were usurping the throne, taking what was not theirs.

Aegon joined the rest of his family on the platform, kneeling before the grand scepter. "May the warrior give him courage, may the smith lend strength to his sword and shield, may the father defend him in his time of need and the crone lift her shining lamp and light his way to wisdom." The old man lifted the conquerors crown and handed it to Criston cole.

It was meant to be a message. He had the conquerors name. And now he had his crown.

Alicent turned to her eldest daughter and took her own crown and placed it on the Princesses head. Heleana looked as if she was here only in body, her violet eyes glossed over in the way that they did when her brain had managed to escape reality.

All while Aegon had turned to look at the people surrounding him, earning a bow from each of them. Rhaella felt Aemond move slightly, lowering his head, his hand tugging onto Helaena pulling her back to this place and reminding her to deepen into a curtsy.

But Rhaella could only stare at her brother, her brain showing her the images that tormented her over and over again.
Aemond placed his hand on her back, pulling her back to reality.

She bowed to her brother, the king.

"All hail his Grace, Aegon second of his name. King of the Andals and the rhoynar and the first men, Lord of the seven kingdoms! And protector of the realms."

Rhaella saw the switch in Aegons eyes as soon as the crown was placed on his head. He was no longer wishing his name away. He was thriving off it. He heard the cheers of the crowd and felt like he owned their lives.

He'd never had this, never had this much love of anyone. Even if they didn't mean it, because really common folk didn't care they loved whoever wore the crown and kept things the way that had always been, they loved the protector of the realm because that was the only part that suited them.

But Aegon was no protector, he was the destruction.

And her thoughts proved to be true, the crown had been on Aegons head barely two minutes before the walls of the pit exploded, Princess Rhaynes and her dragon stealing sending out a warning with one single roar of the beast, giving the answer alicent had been waiting for.

She would not stand with green.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅