Mask Of Innocence

Chapter Sixty-Four~ Mask of Innocence

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

"I wish for us to be able to speak freely." Rhaynera said from one end of the table of the Kings council room. "There has been many things said between us, and I believe that we can put an end to this, if only we speak the truth between one another."

Rhaella smiled slightly, nodding her head slow. "I believe the time for peace between us has passed, do you not?" she replied. "By your hand my boy was murdered, and then on what I believe to be on your order the rest of my children have disappeared." If this was to work, Rhaella needed to appear hostile at first, falling straight down a hole of submission would be suspicious. "So tell me why I would make peace with you, bend the knee to save my own neck yes, but why would I wish to be your friend after everything that has been taken from me."

"Because I know you to be a smart woman Rhaella." Rhaynera answered. "You know the difference between wrong and right, and you know it is my right that I sit that throne."

"Perhaps, but it is Aegons right too." She scoffed. "And you know it is true. Since the beginning of monarchs, it has only ever been a king to rule. Visenya herself was older than Aegon the conquerer, hells she did more than he did, yet she will only be remembered as queen consort. Our father named you heir, and that meant it was your right to rule, but if you thought for one moment it would be as easy as that then I truly question if you are the better fit for the crown." Rhaella laughed. "Men fear women with power, they fear being under command of someone with a cunt rather than a cock, because it is less likely for a woman to fuck up when she desires something. They would rather our brother rule under his birth right because he is easy to manipulate, you are too strong willed for them to control with your bestowed right." Rhaella looked her sister dead in the eyes, her words were strong. "But even then, whether you like it or not, The moment Aegon was born you, in their minds, would not wear the crown. Because they will not bend to something they fear. And a woman in power is something to fear."

Rhaynera nodded her head slowly, processing the speech her sister had just given. "And you, What do you think?"

"I believe, it is Aegon's right just as much as it is yours." Rhaella sighed, leaning back into her chair. "He as the first born son, yet you as the proclaimed heir." Her fingers drew patterns on the wooden table.

"I was the kings eldest child." Rhaynera told her.

"The Princess Rhaenys was the eldest child of King Jaehaerys' eldest child, by that logic she should have been queen." Rhaella shot back. "Perhaps we would have all been better of for it." She muttered, then.

Rhaynera clicked he tongue, not only was Rhaella right, but she found herself somewhat agreeing with what she was saying. "Perhaps we would." She muttered. "But Rhaenys is dead, at your hand too, I hear." She said sipping her wine.

"A casualty of war." Rhaella muttered. "Where is my Grandfather?" She questioned looking up.

"Locked up." Rhaynera scoffed. "He's to be executed."

"Hm." Rhaella nodded. "I wonder, had he not been so insistent on pushing my mother to install Aegon on the throne if we would even be sat at this table now." She smiled. "I ask one thing of you Rhaynera, If Aemond is met by someone in your party, That instead of killing him, you banish him." She cleared her throat, she would test the waters first, before diving in and twisting her own objectives into Rhaynera's mind. "He is my husband, and I love him."

Rhaynera sighed. "Your husband murdered my son."

"And yours murdered mine." She replied quickly. "I apologise for the death of your son, truly, no words can ever amount to that sort of loss, but Aemond is all I have ever known in this life, and the thought of him dying turns my stomach in ways too dark for my own good."

"I cannot promise anything, you should hope that your husband would not come to face one of my men, only that way is his life assured." She informed. "But Aegon, when he is found I will have to kill him, that is the only way I may ensure I am taken as a force that should not be crossed."

"What if I could go to tell him, if I was to tell him to leave and not return, he would listen to me I know it." It was a lie.

"He would leave you to my mercy?" Rhaynera questioned. "And the babe you carry?"

Aemond would not leave her, not a chance in the seven hells and anything beyond that. He would most likely burn anything in his way, burn himself too before he left her, and their baby. But Rhaynera did not need to know that fact.

"Aemond may be impulsive but he knows when the battle to be lost, we have not been the same since we lost our eldest son I will admit that, yet I still love him. But it seems to have changed him, and I think if I told him to leave, he would, give himself a second chance at a free life." The lies that she spun were so beautiful it was enough to make her own heart pull, sweet pretty little lies.

And Rhaynera seemed hypnotised by the beauty of them, because her lilac eyes seemed to spin, as though being convinced by the devious words. "My council would not allow it." Her voice was not final as Rhaella almost expected it to be, there was still room for her to slither her poison in.

"But you are the queen are you not, have they not chosen you as their anointed grace from the Gods?" She replied.

"Of course, yet I must listen to them, Daemon would not allow any of this."

"There is a reason Daemon was chosen to remain as a prince and not ascend to be king." Rhaella leant forward. "He is too close to the fire to rule over a kingdom that is surrounded by water."

"If I were to let you do this, you would have to prove yourself loyal to me first." Rhaynera sighed. "There could be no room for doubt in my mind that you might turn against me."

That was not a difficult task for Rhaella, she'd had years of practice at the art of betrayal and there were enough shades of darkness in her head to paint on a mask of innocence.

"And how do you know I would not betray you?" rhaella questioned, mocking and masking it as an innocent question of slight defiance. "Why would you trust me?" If she found out she could script it into her tale of delightful dishonour.

"I believe you to know when a battle lost Rhaella, only a fool would turn to a broken army, and you are no fool, you will want your child to survive this war." Rhaynera sighed. "I do this so that I can have you by my side, your knowledge is admirable and I believe it would help me, help us."

It could help her, in another universe, another lifetime, it could've helped. But they weren't in another universe, or another lifetime.

They were here now, in this one.

Rhaynera was clearly desperate. If she wasn't then there would be no reason for her to want for Rhaella's help.

And desperation was an easy clay to sculpt.

"Then you will allow it?" Rhaella questioned.

"As I said, You must prove that you are loyal to me." Rhaynera admitted. "Then you must prove yourself loyal to Daemon most likely, which will be much harder than you think."

"How so?" Rhaella questioned.

Then another voice came from the doorway.

"I have just the thing in mind."

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅