Foxglove

Chapter Two~ Foxglove

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

She was sat in her mother's day room when a guard burst through the door, her brother Aemond in his grip.

"Your grace." The gaurd addressed her mother. Aemond snatched his arm out of the grasp of the gaurd.

Rhaella stood with her Mother lingering for a moment.

"Aemond!" Alicent frowned. "What have you done?!" She questioned, inspecting the young prince.

"He did it again." Helaena Mumbled as she continued to play with the strange beast crawling about her porcelain fingers.

"After how many times must you be warned!" Their Mother scolded. "Must I have you confined to your chambers?"

"They made me do it!" Aemond shouted, he was lying. But she remembered the last time her brother had been caught inspecting the dragons. He'd been confined to his room for a week and served only broth.

"As if you need any encouragement." Alicent shot back, "Your obsessions with those beasts goes beyond understanding." She gripped his shoulders.

"It's true Mother," Rhaella interrupted. "The boys taunted Aemond after the lesson."

Alicent turned to her youngest daughter. "And you said none of this before!" She was becoming angrier by the second. "Why?!" She demanded.

"I asked her not too." Aemond stepped infront of his sister. "I told her to leave me and not tell anyone, I was embarrassed." He lied again.

"Embarrassed?" Alicent questioned. "Over a jest?"

"They gave me a pig." Aemond sighed, feeling his sister place a comforting had on his shoulder. "They said they'd found a dragon for me." He felt the embarrassment creep to his cheeks again knowing Rhaella had seen this.

"The last ring has no legs at all." Helaena muttered. Rhaella never payed much attention to her elder sister. They didn't have anything in common, Rhaella found the girl strange, she was always mumbling about something or nothing. But she had a kind enough heart. Too kind for this world.

But when her mother said to Aemond. "You will have a dragon one day." Rhaella caught onto the last part of Helaena's rambling.
"He'll have to close an eye."

strange. Rhaella thought.

"They all laughed at me." Aemond saddened.

Rhaella knew he was much to prideful to admit that without gaining something from it, she knew what he was doing. Alicent always played favorites and if Aemond played the sad son, it would be the eldest son to pay the price.
She had to turn her head to hide the smirk that danced across her lips.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

Rhaella had taken Aemond back to the archives.

He sat watching her read a book on poison, she was always reading something that made one think she was plotting a murder, last week he watched her read an entire book on battle wounds and where you would need to cut someone to have them bleed out, the week before that he watched her go through book on brain hemorrhages and how to induce one.

"Why are you always reading books like that?" He queried, his purple eyes watching her delicate fingers turn another page, then he met her own eyes of violet.

"Like what?" She replied.

He picked a book from the pike she had set next to her. they were all in high Valyrian. "Arteries that kill." he plucked up another. "Belladonna, poison of the night." and another, "Induced death." he continued till he reached the bottom.

He waited for her to answer, instead she just stared at him.

"Tell me brother, Do you know the name of this plant?" She turned the book around to face him. It was a picture of a plant with little white flowers stemming from its root. "Hemlock." She answered when he shook his head. "When the dose is high enough the result can be fatal." She opened another book, "And this," She pointed too a picture of the human body. "Do you know where you would have to wound to have your opponent die without question." Again he shook his head. "I read this, Aemond, so you don't have too."

Aemond watched her pull a jar from a leather pouch she had attached to her dress. "And what's that one?"

"Foxglove." She said eyeing the jar. "I plan to make a tea."

"What?!" Aemond gawped at his sister like she was on the verge on insanity. "To give to whom?"

Rhaella ignored the way his voice judged her. "Aegon." She said plainly.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅