Prologue

Prologue

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

118AC~

"Where is the Princess Rhaella." Queen Alicent questioned the guards stationed outside the princess's door.

The Guards exchanged a look of confusion before turning to look back into the Princess's chambers.

But low and behold the bed was void of anyone, even the dog the Princess insisted on letting sleep in her bed.

"We accompanied the princess to these very doors, just as you commanded your grace." The older Guard said to the queen.

"Prince Aegon is missing at this very same hour," Alicent muttered to herself, nerves beginning to eat away at her. "Sound the alarms!" She shouted before running off to the rooms of her other children.

•• •• ••

"Come on Rhaella, you don't want to end up like Aemond do you?" Aegon taunted from her window.

The young princess looked away from her brother.
She didn't see anything wrong with her brother not yet having his own dragon. he was targaryen, he'd have one soon enough.
But Aegon knew how to get under her skin, and he was encouraging her, Daring her to venture with him into the night.

"What if I don't find one tonight, what if Mother finds me missing from my bed." The princess questioned.

Aegon scoffed. "Then we'll try again tomorrow. And don't worry about mother." He said simply. He held out his hand for her.

And she took it. She trusted Aegon, and she wanted a Dragon.

He helped her keep her footing as they climbed down the thick stems of ivy growing up the walls of the castle.
If her Mother could see her now she would scold Rhaella for acting in such a way not of a princess.

Aegon lifted her off the ivy and onto the ground.

"Why are you doing this?" Rhaella questioned staring up at her brother.

"Because when Aemond asks me why I never tease you for being dragonless like I tease him, I almost feel bad." He looked down at her. "But if we find you one, I can do all the teasing I like."

She wondered then why Aegon wouldn't help their brother find a Dragon like he was helping her.

But her thoughts stopped when she heard a deep cry from near the caves.
They'd taken the stairs down to the shore, to avoid any patrol Guards and now they walked on the sand.

"Did you hear that?" She questioned just above a whisper.

Aegon looked around. "Hear what?"

Another cry. "There it was again."

"Well I can't hear a thing." Aegon stated.

Rhaella ignored him and began heading in the direction of the sound.

She didn't know how but she ended up there much faster than she should have.

And there he was, staring at her with white orbs of promise and unsteady trust.
A low growl escaped his mouth and she took a cautious step closer to him.

She still stood so small at her young age. And the beast Was lay now, resting, waiting. Even then he was about thirty foot taller than she was.

She was mesmerized by his scales, a magnificent bronze sheeting his skin. It glowed in the light of the moon and she cautiously lifted her hand to run along it.

To her surprise he let her.

She jumped when he began to stand, and she moved quickly to the front of him. But the cave was not big enough for him to spread his wings like he wanted to so his heavy feet began to head for the open night air.
She backed up, and he seemed to follow her. Rhaella felt her slippered foot reach the waters of the beach and she couldn't move anymore but her eyes never left that of the dragons in front of her.

She didn't have a clue where Aegon was. She thought she could hear his worried shouts, thought she could hear the screams of her mother and commanding of her father, but her eyes Could not tear themselves away from this Dragon.

She felt something burst in her chest when she watched his wings spread and head lower. He was bowing to her.

Vermithor.

She could've swore she heard a voice whisper in her ear. That was his name. Vermithor.

He was the old kings Dragon, hadn't been ridden in over sixty years, and made himself home in the caves beneath the castle.

She Bowed her head back to the Dragon, but turned it quickly when she heard footsteps running toward her.
Vermithor opened his mouth, an orange light creeping up his throat.

Aegon halted when he saw it himself. Fear managing to creep into his head.

"Lykirī Vermithor." She told the Dragon. "Lykirī."

The beast closed his mouth, growling again when Aegon took another step forwards.

"A job well done I'd say, aye Ageon?" She laughed stroking the side of Vermithor's face.

"You can't have him." Aegon scoffed. "He's a kings Dragon."

Rhaella rolled her eyes. "He chose me Aegon." She turned away.

Her Father was cheering from the sea wall, Her mother still looking down worry in her features.

Then she saw Aemond. He was frowning at her, at her Dragon.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅