Chapter 56. "The showdown."

If you are hit on the right cheek, turn your left cheek, then go under the elbow and from below to the jaw.

Arthur Bloch's Murphy's Law.

A mass fight broke out, blow after blow I knocked everyone down, one kid was brave and lunged at me, to which I kicked him under the breath, and then I punched him in the jaw, he fell to the ground... The third one jumped on me, we fell together I started to punch him in the face, of course I punched him in the ribs and by the sound I realized that I had definitely broken a couple of them...

Of course I was also hit and it felt like my eyebrow was split again because my eye was bleeding, Oscar grabbed me and the guards came and pulled us away from each other...

- Edie, what are you doing? - Angry friend put a rag to my eyebrow," Have you lost your mind? And if they had killed you? - Didn't calm down the friend.

- But I am alive! - I grinned.

- You're an idiot, do you know what's in store for me?

- I'm sorry...

- You can't get rid of it that easily, Kevin's friends know cops, you know what they can do to us, right?

- I have them too, so don't be a coward.

- You need to go to the hospital, get stitches. - Staring at my eyebrow, he said.

- It's okay, don't worry.

- Yeah, just like that, and leave you to be mauled? Let's go," he took me by the arm and led me to the car, he got behind the wheel and we drove to the hospital.

- Why did you do that? - My friend asked me.

- He started it.

- Ed, why do you react to provocation like this? He was trying to take you out on purpose... I had barely calmed them down about Kevin, luckily there were no cameras or witnesses, they all agreed that it was Kevin who started it, because you were enemies and he liked to tease you, but damn, it didn't work anymore... - Angry friend

- Don't worry, I'll figure it out.

- I'm worried about you," he looked at me, "what's going on with you? You don't seem to be yourself lately...

- Life has turned you into a moral freak...

- Don't tell me that the rumors are true and you're like this because of her, or rather your 'wife'?

- Oskar," I began, "I'm my own man, I react violently to such remarks... He knew that, but he got what he deserved, didn't he?

- That doesn't excuse you...

- What did you want to hear? - I got angry," I yelled, "it's because of Joanna, she came back into my life and now I can't stop thinking about her for a second, I feel bad, my dad showed up, he's ruining my life Oscar, I can't help it, you can't understand me, because you've never been in this situation, you don't know what it is like to have a father who does nothing but spoil my life with his presence, his lectures and rules of life. - I finished, to which my friend replied.

- Why can't you stay with Joanna and live like a normal person? Do what you love and forget about everything, why go back to something that won't make you happy, you've become an addict Edmund, how could you get like this? I remember you as a different guy, and what are you now?

- I don't want to talk about it, Oscar, I'm an adult and I have the right to decide for myself how to live my life.

- Really? Have you seen yourself in the mirror right now? Look at your face smashed to pieces? What have you accomplished, Edmund? That tomorrow you'll be called to the station and serve time for robbery? Do you have any idea what you're doing? When was the last time you went to your office? When did you even find out how your employees were doing? Your brother's doing your bail for you, and meanwhile you're drinking and snorting... your life's gone to hell because of some girl. - He yelled.

- So what? What can I do about it? Yes, I turned out not to be what everyone thought, Edmund Wright failed at his own problems, I'm tired of playing the part of a good man, I'm tired of fulfilling everyone else's demands, I'm tired of the lies I live in. Every day I look at myself and I realize that I'm becoming a copy of my father.

- And you decided to take drugs so you wouldn't be like him? - She looked at me, - don't make me laugh, everyone will be like his parents in some way, half or full it's impossible to change or correct, but, you must remember the main thing you're not your father, you're a separate person and believe me you must return to the old life, do your job and live happily.

- I can't...

- Why not?

- I don't want to see my office, my employees, Tony, that stupid Stacy, Joanna, I don't want my father, those people turned me into what I am now into a moral freak, a drug addict and a murderer...

- Maybe it's time to leave and start my life over.

- What do you suggest I do? Go out into the unknown?

- Sometimes it's the only way...

- I don't know Oscar," I covered my eyes with my hands, "give me time, just give me a couple of days to think about it. - Said I and we arrived at the hospital. Oscar took me to his friend she gave me a couple of stitches and we went back to the car.

- I can get you a couch in the living room. - Oscar began, - I don't want to leave you unattended.

- I'd be all for it, thank you.

We got to his apartment I went into the bathroom and turned on the cold water and began to wash off all the blood and the remains of the day, all I could think of was Joanna, she must have left in tears and she would never come back, she gave herself to me and instead of thanking me I just spat on her and left, one part of my brain said that I did the right thing and the other part did not, making my conscience wake up out of me...

I got out of the bathroom and while Oscar was doing something in the kitchen I quickly went into his bedroom and taking his home clothes I got dressed and went out to him.

- Wow! - Looking at my appearance my friend said, - at least he would have asked my permission. - He laughed and handed me a freshly squeezed orange juice.

- Come on, I think you don't mind," I smirked, "thank you," I said taking the glass.

- Get some sleep, I have to work early tomorrow, the cops will be here, I'll have to testify, there's food in the fridge if you want anything, it's at your service.

- Thanks, man.

- Oh, Edie, you're gonna make me suffer... Good night.' Said Oscar and went into the bedroom.

- Good night," I said and went to bed after drinking my juice.

***

The morning didn't start well, though it was about nine o'clock in the morning I got a non-stop call from Oskar.

- Hello," I said sleepily.

- You're screwed! This idiot wrote a statement on you, congratulations. Get a lawyer, and better yet the prosecutor, so that for sure you do not end up behind bars. - Shouted a friend.

- Oh, shit! - I cussed out, - okay, come on. - I disconnected the call and finally woke up and dialed the number of a very good friend of mine, who was also a prosecutor, and I think he would be a good lawyer too.

- Hello, Edmund Wright, what's up? - I heard the cheerful voice of a friend, - I hope you're calling to ask me how I'm doing?

- Good morning, Daniel Scott," I began to laugh, because I like to call him by his first and last name, "I would really like to call you for nothing, but I urgently need to see you, it's a matter of life and death...

From the author:

Hello everyone, my goodies. How did you like the chapter?

I know a lot of people have been reading this story with me for a long time, starting with the story about the Scott family, as you understand, I couldn't help but put our single Uncle Daniel in here, do you think he'll play a role here or is he just a minor character who just appeared suddenly and will disappear...

Write your opinion in the comments. ❤❤❤