seventy-seven

BGK

Today was Valentine's day and I was taking Onika out, of course.

I was a little nervous, this is kind of our first date. We've never officially had one, we just hang out.

I was taking her to this really fancy restaurant called 1789.

After I checked myself in the mirror and made sure I looked good, I went into my mamas room.

She was in her bathroom curling her hair.

I smiled, "Hey mama. Do I look good? I'm going on a date." I stood next to her in front of the mirror so she could see me without having to turn her head.

"You look great, where are you going?"

"It's called 1789, it's downtown."

"I was hoping you weren't going downtown, your sister needs a ride somewhere and I have somewhere to be."

"Where is she going and where are you going?" It's Valentine's day, they should be staying at home.

"Your sister is going out with some friends-"

"Mama, she's going from be with a boy." She's not slick at all.

"No she's not. And even if she is, aren't you going on a date?"

"Yeah, because I'm 18 and I have a girlfriend. Do you want some little boy touching on your daughter? Your baby girl?"

"You know your sister, she's going to do whatever she wants. At least I know where she's going to be and that she'll be safe."

"Mama, boys are not safe! By the time she's my age, she'll be pregnant. Do you want her to be a teen mother?"

"I'm parenting you the way I did with you, do you have any kids?"

"I was a loser, she's not. It's different. I didn't even lose my virginity until- oops." I accidentally snitched on myself.

"I'm not going to ask, I don't want to know. As long as I don't hear or see anything, it's none of my business."

Thank God. That was a conversation I didn't want to have. "Well where are you going? Since when do you curl your hair?"

"I'm going out with some friends." That's what she always says.

"No, you're going to meet a man."

"I'm not going to meet a man."

"Yes you are. Are you going to meet him?" By him, I mean my father.

"I already told you I wasn't." I can't tell if she's lying or not.

"Well if you are, you can tell his old ass-" She popped me in the mouth before I could even finish.

"Watch your mouth. He's still your father."

"Is that supposed to mean something? It doesn't take much to get someone pregnant. I was saying if you want to be with him, he better start working on the farm because I'm not going to do it. I'll leave-"

"That's not necessary, I already told you I'm not seeing him."

"The who are you seeing? There's no reason you should be sneaking around." At her big age.

"I'm in no way sneaking around."

"Yeah, but you're lying about where you're going. I know you don't like Onika and I still tell you where I'm going but I'll stop if you can't do the same."

"I'm your mother, not the way around. I don't have to tell you anything if I don't want to."

"Fine. Bye." I rolled my eyes and left the room.