sixty-three

OTM

I was nervous as shit walking up the stairs to Beys house. This is going to be terrible.

I texted her when I was outside, I wouldn't know what to say if I rang the doorbell and her mom answered the door.

Bey opened the door and smiled. "I told you."

"Told me what?"

"You would look beautiful no matter what you wear. Come inside, the food should be about ready soon."

I walked in and her sister came down the stairs. "Hi Onika. Bye Onika." She ran past me and out the door.

"What was that?" Shes strange like Bey.

"She's going out with her friends because she knows this is going to be awkward."

"See?" I wish I had an excuse to leave too.

"It's not going to be that bad. Come say hi." She took my hand and led me to the kitchen where her mom was taking cornbread out of the oven. "Mama, Onikas here."

"Hi." I tried to sound as nice and friendly as possible.

"Hi honey. Y'all can sit at the table, the food should be ready in a couple more minutes."

I was going to say something else but Bey was already taking me to the dining room.

She pulled the seat out for me and sat next to me after I was seated, she's such a gentlewoman.

I whispered, "I'm nervous as shit." My heart was going crazy right now.

"Maybe don't use that language at the dinner table."

"Good advice." That might be hard, half of the shit I say I can't say at a dinner table. "What should I talk about?"

"Um... I don't know? You don't really have any hobbies besides me and getting drunk with your friends and doing crazy stuff."

"How is that helping right now?" She's making me more nervous.

"Sorry. Just say whatever, I'm sure she'll love you." She's so unhelpful, I just want to hit her sometimes.

I pinched her thigh, "You keep giving me these non-answer answers. What am I supposed to do with 'say whatever'?"

"Just be yourself."

Her mom called her from the kitchen, "Giselle, come help me with this please."

She stood up from the table and went to the kitchen to help her mom. While she was helping her I texted my friends.

: HELP HELP

: WHAT DO I TALK ABOUT?? SHES COMING

fenty 👩🏽‍🦲: books and church

india 🇮🇳: how you love your family

fenty 👩🏽‍🦲: and don't bring ny up or she'll think about what you did the last time you were there

boog 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩: girl just lie tbh

: they're coming bye

: wish me luck 🫣

I put my phone away just as Bey came to the table holding a big glass dish of fried chicken.

How am I supposed to eat that like a lady? I was hoping for something I could eat with a fork. 

Bey came back and forth between the kitchen and the dining table setting food down.

Her mom went all out. She made mac and cheese, greens, cornbread, and baked beans.