fifty-six

BGK

Christmas came and went and now it was New Year's eve. Onika was having her party today and apparently it was a bigger deal than I thought.

I had to pick up and and drive her around so she could run errands. That's what she told me. I just said okay and drove to her house without asking any questions, I always like seeing her so it doesn't matter what we're doing.

When I got to her house, she was already outside sitting on the steps of her porch.

She was wearing this black unitard looking thing and... one of my shirts? How did she get that?

Onika ran to the car and kissed my cheek before closing the door. "Hey girlfriend"

"Hi, is that my shirt?"

She chuckled, "Funny story... I stole it."

"You stole my shirt?" Why didn't she just ask?

"Yeah, well I asked you for a flannel and you never gave me one so I look matters in my own hands. I used to have a real bad stealing problem when I was younger, I used to just steal anything."

"And you got away with it?"

She innocently smiled, "I have a way of always getting out of trouble." I know first hand she does.

"I can tell. Where are we going first?"

"Just drive and I'll give you directions." I nodded and pulled out of her driveway.

What a terrible idea that was. Onika doesn't know how to give directions at all, I got lost at least three times before we got to where we were going.

I didn't know where we were because we were at the back of whatever it was by the loading dock was.

"I'm going to go in, you stay here but come when I wave you over. Okay?"

"Okay."

She got out of my truck and I watched her knock on the door and go inside.

A couple minutes later she popped her head out and waved me over. I got out of my car and walked up to the door where she was.

"Can you take these boxes to your truck? They're to heavy for me to carry." There was three boxes by her feet.

"What's in them?" I like Onika but I don't know if I'm ready to go to jail for her, I wanted to know what they were before I just put them in my truck.

"Alcohol. Lots of it. I have to go say bye to my friend, give me a second. Get to lifting."

Onika walked back inside and I used the chance to look at see what it was. It looked like a back room or a kitchen, I couldn't tell.

I carried the boxes to my truck and put them in the back. Onika came running out laughing and we both got back in.

"Where to now?"

"The mall, you need a new outfit."

"Why do I need a new outfit?" I'm offended.

"No offense, but you can't show up to my party in worn out Levi's and a flannel. You know I love how you dress, cowgirl, but it's my party and I'm going to be looking like a bad bitch, you need to match my bad bitch. Plus, I want us to take some cute pictures tonight."

"Why? You never post me."

She laughed, "You're really falling into this Jayda role."

"But I'm serious." It's not funny, I noticed she goes out of her way to not post me.