27.

Max drove out of the garage. I knew he was ready for this race. He started on pole and was determined to not let Lewis pass.
I was standing behind the engineers, wearing the headset they gave me.
The five lights went out and the drivers started driving.

Max and Lewis were racing next to each other for a few corners. They were not giving each other any room. Max told me he wanted to keep Lewis behind him because he felt like he had the pace. If he could keep him behind in the first lap, he would have a good chance to win.

They got into Corpse corner where they touched and I saw Max crash into the barriers. It was a huge crash. I couldn't move, I felt my heart sink into my chest. I heard GP asking Max if he was okay, all we could hear was him groaning in pain.
I think everyone in the garage went silent for a minute.

I sighed relieved when I saw him getting out of his car. The medical team was already standing with him asking him a couple of questions to see if he was fine. He walked to the ambulance, but I could see he wasn't completely fine. I just hoped he wasn't injured.

The race just continued after the red flag. They started racing again but I didn't really feel like watching it anymore.
I put my hands on the table in front of me and started leaning on it. I just wanted to see if he was alright. I looked around and saw Christian walking up to me. "Max is in the medical center but he needs to go to the hospital for check ups" I was relieved to hear he was fine but still concerned that he needed to go to the hospital. "Can you go with him? I know he would want you to be there with him." How would he know Max would want that? Did he know about us? I didn't even need to ask it because he answered my question without even knowing. "I am not blind Rylee, I know how happy he is since you became a part of our team." I couldn't keep myself from smiling. "Thank you Christian, I'll keep him company."

I started walking to the medical center. I couldn't wait to be with him, to hold him. To see with my own eyes that he was fine but I was stopped by Jason. I didn't want to talk to him at all. "Where are you going?" Why did he even care. I just wanted to push him out of my way but I knew there were a lot of cameras around us. "I am going to Max" I walked passed him. "Tell your boyfriend I said hi."
I didn't reply. My boyfriend? How did he know that we were close?

As I walked into the medical center, I saw Max sitting down, he was looking at his phone. He didn't look up when I walked in so I kneeled down, sitting in front of him and putting my hands on his legs.
"Are you okay?" He finally looked away from his phone and down at me.
"I'm fine, just a little sore but I'll be fine" He put his hands on mine and pulled me up, putting me on his lap. Even when he was feeling sore and probably angry, he still wanted me to be with him.
I put my arms carefully around his neck, I didn't want to hurt him. "I am so happy that you're okay. I was so scared." He smiled softly, putting my hair behind my ear. Even a little gentle touch like that made my heart beat ten times faster.
I was way too deep in this, I never thought I would be this scared to lose someone.