25.

It's raceday today and the last couple of days were very awkward between Max and I. After I finished my phone call with Toto, he went out because he had a meeting. I knew he didn't have a meeting because I was the one who scheduled everything.
I knew he must be wondering why I thought Toto was more important than him.

He spend most of his time doing marketing stuff and interviews, I knew he was busy but even after he was done with the mandatory things, he avoided me by going to dinners, parties and probably a few other lies.

Charlotte texted me earlier today. She finally came to another race. I was walking through the paddock, Daniel waved at me, I was impressed he still knew who I was given how drunk he was at the party.
Charlotte told me to meet her at the Ferrari hospitality so I walked over there and sat down.
She looked happy to see me and so was I.
"So I think you've some explaining to do.." she pointed at my Red Bull shirt while I sat down. She must be so confused. She was one of the only people who knew who I was.
"Christian offered me a job as PR manager and it's a great opportunity." she nodded but I saw it was still kind of bothering her. "I get that.. so they know that you are Toto's niece?" I started shaking my head. "God Rylee, when are you gonna tell them?"
I wanted to tell them, I wanted to scream it in the middle of the paddock but I was way too deep in this mess already. Max would never forgive me and I was way too selfish, I didn't want to lose him. I just shrugged my shoulders.
We talked for about an hour until the race was about to start.
I had to talk to Max before the race. I needed to know that he wasn't mad anymore.

Max was standing in his usual place in the garage. I touched his shoulder softly, he looked at me and smiled. It wasn't the smile I knew. It was the smile he used for interviews and media duties. His fake smile. "Can we talk?" I looked up at him, almost whispering. "Not now." Okay, he was definitely still mad. He grabbed his helmet of a table and started walking. I grabbed his arm softly. "Max please..."
"I have to race Rylee, you know... trying to beat Toto." he put his helmet on and got in his car.
I just stood there looking at him. How was I gonna explain this without telling him the truth.

Mad Max was definitely driving today. He was driving in the lead the entire race and just crushed the opposition. Once again the Red Bull garage had a reason to party. Max now had a good lead in the championship.
I was still looking at the tv when they showed Toto. I recognized his look, that was the look of frustration.

                                    —————————

Max was doing his interviews and I was standing next to him. Recording everything. This time there was no teasing between us, I kinda missed his hands trying to playfully touch me.
After the interviews we walked back to the hospitality next to each other. He didn't say a word so I had to be the one who talked first.
"Max, I'm really sorry." He nodded to a few people not acknowledging I was walking next to him. I was tired of his shit so I grabbed his arm and turned him to me. "Max seriously talk to me" he finally looked at me. "What do you want me to say? You literally walked out when we were about to have sex, just so you could talk to Toto."
"I am so sorry Max, I know it was wrong, I thought it was important." To be honest it wasn't important at all. He just wanted to check if I knew something more about their strategy, which I obviously didn't.
"And I wasn't?" Max started shaking his head.
"Of course you are important to me Max, I really really like you." I put my hand on his arm and luckily he didn't try to push me away. His face started to lit up again.
"I really like you too Rylee.." he sighed and grabbed my hand, pulling me with him. He pulled me into the hospitality, to his driver room. I didn't complain. I already enjoyed his touch.

We talked for a long time. We didn't fight, we just talked about our feelings. I was sitting on his lap and we were scrolling through Instagram, he kissed me a few times on my cheek and neck.
He always made me feel safe and loved.
Next time I was definitely gonna turn off my phone.