21. Second & Third Thoughts

-Arie-

After dinner I walk Caleb to his car.
"Are you ok?" He asks as he once again takes me into his arms.

"I'm ok." I mutter into his chest with my hands between us.

He kisses the top of my head. "Are you sure? You're lips are more pouty than usual."

"Yeah. I'm just a little tired."

He takes my face in his hands and tilts my head up to look at him.

"Will you sleep early? We stayed up late last night."

"I don't know. I promised Bryce a solid binge."

"Ok. Don't stay up too late. Can I see you
tomorrow?"

"It's kind of a girls day at the salon tomorrow."

"Ok I'll text you then if you're free after maybe I can bring you dinner."

"Are you trying to fatten me up?"

"You caught me, for better to eat you up."

"Yikes, you're so corny sometimes."

He laughs at me as he leans in to kiss me and I move up onto my tippy toes.

It's a short kiss and he releases me to open his car door.

"Goodnight babe."

"Goodnight. Text me when you get home safe."

"K. I will." He pulls his door shut and I walk back to the walkway.

When I get back to the living room Bryce is fully immersed. I crawl into the nook between his legs and the couch and lay on him.

His arm snakes around me and he pats my hip softly. It's comforting.

"What's wrong sugarplum?" He asks after a while.

"I had a talk with my mom earlier. She was upset about that bad thing I told you happened when I was younger. I guess I can't help but be sad too."

He doesn't say anything he just moves his hand and strokes small circles into my back until I fall asleep.

****

I groan as I become aware that I'm being moved. For a second I think it's my dad and I wrap my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist.

"Daddy I'm not sleepy." I lie like I always did as a kid when he carried me off to bed.

A voice chuckles and I instantly become aware that it isn't my dad and I am an adult.

It's the smell that stops me opening my eyes. I recognize it all to well.

I bury my nose in his neck to inhale him and wrap my legs tighter around him as I hear him step up onto the first step of the staircase.

"I thought you would sleep at your condo." I whisper.

"It smells strong of paint it was giving me a headache."

"I missed you." I admit.

"Are you dreaming?"

"No. I just missed you."

"I missed you too baby. If I'm honest I didn't even attempt to sleep at my condo. I brought a night bag so I wouldn't have to go back early."

He opens the door to my bedroom and gently closes it behind him.

"I hope you know my mom knows you sneak in here every night and she knows you stole the hide a key."