Chapter 14: Worrying about Emma

This was huge. Was it really huge? Being attracted to the same gender was normal and common. Yes, it was huge because this was Emma! I thought to myself. My sister and best friend, the girl I had lived with for over eighteen years and I still hadn't known.

I realised that I had stood frozen in my spot when my phone beeped to tell me that my taxi had arrived. It broke my trance and I retracted out of the club. I wrote a quick message telling Emma I had left as I walked. I shouldn't talk to her now. Not when I wasn't sure what to say. Maybe, Emma wasn't even sure what that was.

However, I was sure that it wasn't the sort of silly dancing you do with your best girlfriends. It had been sensual. I knew that Emma had been drinking, quite a lot actually, but I had no doubt that she merely had lost her inhibitions and that was her real desires.

I got into the taxi and gave the driver my address. I looked at the time. It was a quarter past midnight. I desperately wanted to call Nate and talk to him about it but he would be drunk by now and not the best voice of reason. I called him anyhow, just to hear his voice.

"ABBS!" he practically screamed when he picked up the phone. He did indeed sound drunk.

"Are you okay? Do you need me to get you?" he said, his voice slurred.

Idiot, I thought as I shook my head with a grin on my face. He wouldn't be able to come get me but even in this state he was adorable.

"Shit, I'm in France..." he said and hesitated. "Should I call Sabrina? She can come get you."

"Nate, take it easy. I'm fine. I'm in a taxi on my way home. Nothing to worry about, love. Clubbing went okay, although I spend most of the time no a sofa with Megan. I just wanted to hear your voice," I said and I could practically taste the cheesiness on my tongue.

"Aw!" Nate said. "I miss you too and actually Marcus stole my phone because I kept wanting to call you," he confessed. "I'm happy you're safe. Thank Megan from me. But something is bothering you..."

Sometimes, I felt like Nate was my personal lie detector or something like that. Obviously, I never lied to him but even if I weren't sharing something that bothered me, he would know instantly.

"You're right but it's something I need to process myself first. It's about Emma. I think I know what has been bothering her."

"That's great!" Nate exclaimed, overly-excited.

"I think it might be but I'll let you know when I've processed it a bit more. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay... I love you, Abbs. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever known, inside and out, and I love you to pieces. I wish I would fall asleep next to you and could pull you into my arms and be enveloped by your sweet smell."

"Nate," I said and lowered my voice, suddenly very aware that the taxi-driver could hear every word I spoke. This boy was even cheesier than I was. "I love you to pieces and beyond. I'm going to miss you in our bed tonight. You're the kindest guy I know and the most handsome one as well. Love you and talk to you soon."

"Bye, milady," he said and chuckled, probably satisfied that he got me to be cheese twice.

"Bye, love," I said and ended the call before he tried to act out that "cute" you-hang-up-no-you-hang-up routine. He had actually managed to get me to do that once.

Within the next couple of minutes, we had reached my destination. I paid the taxi-driver and climbed the five flights of stairs to the flat.

I wouldn't be able to sleep before I had cleared my head and come up with a game plan in regards to Emma. On my own, I would probably overload my brain but luckily, I didn't have to do it on my own. I had friends now, the kind of friends that you could call up at any time.