Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Elizabeth POV

“Move over Juliana, you might crack the mirror if you peer into it constantly,” I said teasingly to my sister.

Juliana and I are complete opposites. She has large glowing emerald eyes speckled with flecks of gold. I often teased her for her feline attributes. Her long brown mane resembled that of a horse, which certainly wasn’t insulting in her eyes.

We often differed in opinions due to our difference in age. I being twenty and she a mere eighteen. The only quality that is shared between us is our mother’s stubborn disposition.

  Juliana rolled her eyes and sauntered up to her closet flipping through her dresses acting as if what I thought has no meaning or value. Over the years I had been the quieter one, so naturally I became an expert at identifying people’s moods and thoughts.

My sister at this instance seemed to be in a careless mood. Nothing phased, excited, or pleased her. She had been in this mood for the past eighteen years.

The Dallas ball was something to be seen at. It was the most looked forward to affair of the year. An invitation to the ball ensured that you were among the elite social class of society.

My sister and I both looked forward to the young men that would do doubt ask us to dance and the women we would outshine. Weathers women’s beauty was legendary. As I was powdering my face I saw my mother enter our bedroom door. I turned around in time to see her dismiss our serving maids.

"Elizabeth, Juliana, you look splendid darlings. Now remember, it is important to make a good impression on the young men for you are of marrying age."

 I noticed my mother was exceptionally beautiful. She had on a gold gown that made her raven black hair look mysterious and bold. The lines of age were just becoming apparent on her face, but were still masked by young skin.

A mother’s life is toilful, especially when she has daughters. Her purpose in life is to find her daughter’s husbands. Rest could come later, if it ever came at all. Juliana and I shared a passing look between us, as if she had to tell us to keep an eye out on the eligible bachelors. I treasured moments such as these, when my sister and I actually understood each other. They are few and far between.

"Mother don't fret we will be married by morning," Juliana said with a sarcastic air. She wrapped a boa around her in a silly manner and fluttered her eyelashes dramatically. “Oh my lord, a man to call my own,” she said and pretended to faint onto the bed.

"I wish you wouldn't speak so casually about such matters Juliana. Try to be more like Elizabeth."

This always was a sore point with Juliana, being compared to me. She rolled her eyes and tried to finish getting ready. The peace was gone and another bickering match was soon to come. She sulked bitterly as she fluttered around the room.

“Mother please there is plenty of time to consider a marriage mate, tonight though we are merely going to enjoy ourselves, whilst we are still single young, and exceptionally beautiful.”

“Girls, time is of the essence.”

My mother always had the same effect on us. She would somber us with a mere few words or well thought expressions. She left us to finish our preparations, although the atmosphere was not quite the same. Our servants came running back in, their faces creased with anxiety due to the lack of time before we had to leave. Juliana dressed in an elaborate red gown.

It was corseted and the straps lay across her shoulders, exposing her clavicles. The dress was gathered in many places and adorned with the most brilliant ivory lace. Father had sent for it from Paris.