Chapter 23

----------- Chapter 23 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stuff everything I can into my suitcase, eternally grateful I had never gotten down to fully unpack everything. I zip my suitcase closed and look around my empty room. It’s exactly the way it was when we moved in.

This isn’t a time to walk down memory lane, I remind myself, internally kicking myself.

               “Jess?” Alex hollers up the stairs, much too loud.

I run down the staircase only to find Alex waiting for me, his face relieved. I push past him and head to the living room. Haden’s sitting up in the sofa, looking weak, but at least he’s conscious!

               “Haden!” I squeal in delight, having to remind myself not to jump at him.

               “Hey. You did good, kid,” he murmurs softly.

               “Anyway, we’re not leaving Jess,” Alex announces, coming up behind me.

               “What do you mean?” I demand.

               “Haden’s wounds aren’t healing. It would be dumb to move him. Any other state we go to, things are going to be the same. So Alex and I have decided that what Haden needs is medical attention from the land of enmortals,” Matt explains.

               “I don’t think it’s a good idea. But it seems like I have no say at all,” Haden grumbles, his voice soft and strained.

               “Land of enmortals?” They have to be kidding me! Now there’s a land?!

               “Persephone, that’s what it’s called,” Haden murmurs, still peeved that nobody was listening to him.

               “How do we get there?” I ask uncertainly, pretty sure I wasn’t going to like the answer.

               “You remember the night you had the nightmare right? You came to my room and picked my lamp up to defend yourself? Well, as you did that, you kind of smashed a crystal that was on my table. That’s generally how we go to Persephone, but don’t worry. The boys and I can just apparate there,” Haden clarifies.

All three guys turn to stare at me and it takes me a moment to realize what Haden had just said. ‘The boys and I can just apparate there.’

               “What about me?” I ask tentatively.

The guys fidget uncomfortably, but the silence is so thick, it could be cut with a knife.

               “I don’t get to go, do I?” I whisper.

               “Sorry, Jess. But it wouldn’t be wise of us to take you. I mean, we’re going to get Haden better. We’d be too spread out if we also have to look after you,” Matt murmurs.

               “I understand,” I mutter glumly, climbing back up the stairs.

               “Jess! Wait!” Haden calls.

               “Yes?” I call over my shoulder, keeping my tone as even as possible.

               “Come back here, please?” Haden begs.

I groan to myself. Curse Haden for having that stupid, pathetic, hypnotic voice! I trudge back down the stairs and stand in front of Haden. He pats the empty seat beside him. With a sigh I plonk myself down, twiddling my thumbs.