{CHAPTER 28}

-A DIFFERENT APPROACH-

"Seriously........ Seriously...... Seriously...." Usopp chanted with every bang of his hammer, as he worked on fixing the ship. While Chopper was handing him nails one by one.

Why? Because it hadn't taken long for the Strawhats to come across another weirdo that looked like an Orangutan but was a human. Which was ironically Masira's brother, Shoujou.

Upon mistaking that Luffy had beaten up Masira, he had started singing loudly on his mike for revenge. The sound waves created by it had started destroying Going Merry. The Strawhats had barely escaped but the damage was already done, which made Usopp really made.

"Seriously....... That darn orangutan! Destroying the ship even more!"

"This ship has really started to fall apart. Maybe it's about time to replace it?" Zoro, who was fixing the mast, suggested looking at its condition.

"Don't you dare start saying inconsiderate things, too!" Usopp shouted while making a weird face, teeth pointed and eyes sharp.

"Don't you dare!" Chopper imitated him.

"You know how exactly we got this ship, right?!"

"Right?!" Chopper again imitated.

"I know, Usopp" Luffy was repairing another side of the ship, "Complaining won't get us anywhere. Going Merry is an important part of the team. So let's work hard and repair the ship!"

"Luffy.... You're such a......" His words had made Usopp tear up.

*BAAM*

He hit the hammer too hard, causing a part of the railings to shatter.

"Woops"

"YOU IDIOT! ARE YOU REPAIRING THE SHIP OR WRECKING IT?!"

"Well, I'm really trying to fix it, but....."

*BAAM*

Another part shattered.

"Woops. Broke it again."

"LUFFY!!"

Usopp grumbled in anger as returned back to work. But as he went to grab his hammer, he noticed Kei, who was repairing a part beside him, sweating while looking at the broken wooden floor with a conflicted look.

"What's the matter?" He curiously shifted to sit beside her. Since Kei had the devil fruit to control trees, she could even control wood and that's why she was trying to fix it with her powers. She had fixed a few holes on the floor and railings but there seemed to be a small problem with them.

"You see........ I'm having a problem here..." She placed a hand on one end of the wooden plank, beside the hole and concentrated. " I'll just show you." The wooden plank started to extend and the gape started to close. Soon, the hole was no longer there.

"I don't see a problem." Usopp looked at the now-fixed floor in confusion.

"Look here carefully." Kei pointed at a certain area - of where she fixed - and Usopp hunched forward with narrowed eyes. And that's when he realized that there was a visible crack on the floor.

"It seems I can extend the broken parts but can't join them together."

"Huh, Why?"

Kei just shrugged her shoulders, " I've been trying for the last few minutes but I see no progress...."

When put simply, if there is a stick broken into two parts, Kei can take one part, grow the broken end and transform it into a new stick. But she is not particularly able to join the two broken ends back to normal for the moment.