Chapter 30

Teresa's POV

The moment I received Nesta’s message, I was positive that the king of hell was showering his blessings upon me and wanted me to choke to death without air because I was feeling breathless.

It was 4 in the noon of a hectic Monday, all bundled up with a week’s worth of gap. My pen swinging in between my fingers, but my mind was occupied with the thoughts. I still hadn’t replied to her message, and I have wondered if it was a joke. I wished it was a joke, as I was in no mood to face Alex’s reaction. As far as I know, it was his lowest limit to push, not even I had the guts to do that. I had seen… noticed that he became distant at the mere mentioning.

But, what about that big ass caterpillar in my brain called ‘curiosity’?

Those what’s and if’s and whys had been killing me since the day I met Nesta. I mean, my subconscious needed the gratification of knowing that there was a chance to redeem the relationship between Alex and his parents. For that, I was required to meet none other than his mother. Matter of fact, nothing can change within a day without a big… huge reason. And trusting some shit story, or being biased to your sons for that, seemed a lame excuse to me. Maybe to cover something bigger.

And then there was this why? Why the hell did she want to meet me? Funny that I had no pointer about how she got my number. Hilarious that I couldn’t discuss it with my man because later I had to explain the message which would unquestionably make things worse.

Lovely. Just lovely, that all out of billions of people ‘trouble’ have to be my middle name.

I stopped spinning the pen in my fingers and pressed the corner of my eyes with the forefinger and middle finger of both hands which were resting on the desk. All of it was giving me a major migraine, making me exhale more air. The door of my cabin opened and a bulky man, dressed in khaki black from head to toe with black glasses and a Bluetooth earpiece, came in front of me. He was the bodyguard that my royal highness, the love of my life, my knight in shining armour (notice the sarcasm) assigned for my protection.

“What do you want, number Four?” I asked, my voice stern.

As promised, Alex assigned four bodyguards, and I named them by the sequence of their introduction timing. He was introduced to me last, so here it goes number four.

“Miss, I saw you rubbing your head. Is anything bothering you?”

First, I grinned at him, flashing all 32 teeth. When he returned the gesture with a small… tiny winy smile, I changed my face storey. No emotion with a flat line of lips and void eyes, glaring at him, cursing the very existence of his life. That caught him off guard as he furrowed at me.

“I know your master has a leash on you all and he is on the phone listening to me right now. So, honey, get out of my sight.” I said, plainly.

Within a second… like after 1 second, my phone lit up with Alex’s name and number four exited.

“Oh, the mighty king has been keeping an eye on his queen with useless piglets,” I said.

“Well, hello and love you too, I guess?”

“It’s been what? 6-7 hours and I am already on the verge of exploding with their continuous interruptions, Alex. I drop a pen. I hear a knock. I stand up I hear a knock. I yawn, and I hear a knock. Argh! your puppies are so annoying.”