Chapter 8: New chances, new hopes

Third-person pov

Jessica watched the glimpse of the man across the street, knowing exactly who it was. She also saw Teresa breaking down and having a pure panic attack. Even the thought of repeating everything with her best friend crushed her heart to millions of pieces.

She had seen Teresa at her most vulnerable. Those times when Teresa was at her weakest and a messed up piece of soul. All because of Adam Lewis and Teresa's mother.

Fighting back her tears, she stormed out in Teresa's direction. Not considering the danger of running while being pregnant. Right now all she wanted was to not let her breakdown. Opening the gates of Teresa's apartment she heard sniffing from the kitchen. Looking down, Teresa was sitting with her knees wrapped around with hands, bloodshot eyes looking nowhere with an emotionless face.

Jessica extended her hand to pet Teresa's head when she flinched. Teresa flinched.

Every wound was still sour and fresh. Till this day she hadn't forgotten anything. Her father's death. Her mother's cheating. Adam Lewis.

There was never a clear picture given by Teresa Or her authorities as to what had happened. But, she once told her about how her mother is somewhat responsible for her father's death. There was no mention of what Adam Lewis had to do in all this. It was always Teresa's secret. Always her pain to endure which she never dared to speak of ever.

"Teresa, look at me, sweetheart." Jessica tried to calm herself to catch up with Teresa's emotions.

"He is back Jessica, he is gonna fucking kill me. He is gonna finish what he started." Tears flowed down Teresa's cheeks.

"Shh...Shh" Jessica pulled Teresa's head into her chest for a soothing hug, while rubbing her hands continuously in her hair as she said, " Nothing is going to happen. Do you listen to me? He is not back, we might have had a huge misunderstanding. Even if he comes, he is not gonna touch a single hair of your body. Note my words Tee not even a single hair."

Teresa wanted to believe whatever her best friend was implying. She wanted to believe that the past she had left after her, the people she had run from were long gone. They were nothing but a whisper of dust in this small world of hers. She wanted to believe. But she saw him today and panicked like hell.

"You are stronger than this Tee and you know that. You are the strongest human being, you have to believe that nothing can harm you until you decide to," said Jessica. That made Teresa feel a bit calm, but she decided not to say anything.

"Get up. Let's get you changed and maybe take a nap after that." Jessica stood up, grabbing Teresa to her bathroom.

She pulled Teresa's hair into a braid and washed her face. Tear stains are long gone. Jessica pulled Teresa's emergency anxiety pills and gave them to her. She, then, tugged Teresa into bed, sitting right next to her for comfort. Time passed as Teresa dozed into sleep, letting Jessica get out of the apartment. Though, she left a note beside her bed saying

Call me as soon as you wake up. I love you, my lady soldier.

-Jessie

Sitting on the sofa with Jacob, Alex was thinking about those past weeks, the moment he forgot about coffee and how much he regretted it. He thought about today's encounter with Teresa, there was no measuring tape to scale the amount of happiness he experienced by looking at her again. That encounter with Teresa turned from magical to devastating within seconds. While sipping his coffee and blankly looking at the floor, he thought about how excited and happy he was when he bumped into her. That ember of hope, which he had so dearly tied to his heart in hopes of looking after her for once, burned into a full-grown fire the moment he held her in his arms.