Chapter 5: We are nothing

Teresa's POV

Moments before asking Alex for coffee.

I had been biting my nails, holding a hot chocolate in my hands while resting on the armchair near the window. I was distressed at why would Alex do such a thing as to give me a luxurious room at a normal price? Well, I did not mind having it, but why? Either he was such a good heart man, or he just did that out of pity to grab my unwanted attention. Above everything, why was he even in my mind?

Sitting like this, nothing was going to happen, so I opened my suitcase and started putting clothes in the closet. Whatever I did, my mind go back to him. I seriously didn't know what magic he was doing in just a few hours.

Unable to conclude, I needed Jessica. She would say something sensible, which I might be missing. I dialled her number, which she picked at the fourth ring, panting heavily for a good minute.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Hye Tee, I am fine. I just tried to climb up the stairs. Feels like baby wants some rest."

Just then, John shouted from somewhere to scold her for this stupid decision.

I hummed in response.

"Your upper part is completely empty, right? Why would you do anything like that?"

"Oh god, fuck off Tee. You are worse than John." Jessica's irritated mood was a sign, at least these days, to stay away from her radar. Like, as far as possible from this pregnant mama.

"Yeah, because you are the only one I have. I am territorial."

I heard the shuffle of things from a distance as a relaxed moan escaped Jessie's mouth, making me think she sat on the sofa. "Ah-huh... so what's up? When are you going back? "

"Not until you are fine, Jessie. I already told you."

"I am fine, Tee. How long are you gonna hold on to your work because of me? I can very well take care of myself. When are you and John going to realise that I am not a child who needs constant attention?" I could practically see her rolling eyes at me through the phone.

Going back to work would take a little time. Not that the thought of returning to my homeland didn't cross my mind, or as if I did not try. But there was this feeling holding me back in Paris... snatching my hands away to stay more. And as if the stars were singing in agreement, I had every reason to stay. Jessica was pregnant; she needed my support. There were no flights for at least 4 days.

"I will talk to Jerry about it, considering the time zone I will try to contact him at the midnight," I said.

"Correct. Talk to that oldie. I was saying, why don't you come early in the morning for a breakfast? Like, 7 in the morning so we can have a little meet and greet."

"Umm. For that-"

Before I could have started, she interrupted me as if jumping to the conclusions like a frog jumping on rocks. "About that what? Are you denying me? And I thought I was the most important person in your entire existence. You don't even have time for me nowadays, Tee."

Pregnancy hormones.

"Yes, I am declining your offer. And can you please stop for one second and listen to me?"

"Ah-huh? Go ahead!" She said, chewing something while speaking. Goodness, how could her mood swings turn so fast? One moment a sweet little kitten, the next a wild tigress.

"So, I am staying in the same hotel, and Alex is the owner. He gave me a reasonable discount for my one week extended stay. I mean, I don't know why would he do that. I am barely a stranger to him."