Chapter 27: Intruder

Teresa's POV

Two weeks had passed since my birthday party. Jerry and Stella left for the US 3 days after my birthday. For 3 days, I spent as much time as I could with them. They stayed in the mansion's guest room, and we wandered around Paris, watching and visiting every great attraction, talking so much about our lives. I was glad that Alex and Jerry found some bonding. Alex was so respectful to Jerry and listened to Jerry attentively whenever he shared his stories over dinner.

Stella and I shared our time shopping in the streets, and she figured out my feelings for Alex. She always used to tell me that love comes in the most unexpected ways and that he is the one for me. I told her how he had protected me and taken care of me over these months. It was hard for him to open up to any stranger, yet he tried for me. Stella only smiled at my appreciation for me. Her words still made my heart sync deep in love. 'The unknown powers of this universe sent him to you, to heal your heart and wash away your darkness. He is the light you needed I can see that you are the same for him, too.'

I understand that there was some unknown spark between us, but whatever the situation going on between his brother and Eliana, it would be hard for him to focus on his feelings for me. That was why I was keeping my hopes low, like at the bottom of the sea type lowest.

No hopes, no pains, right?

I walked towards the general cafeteria for a quick coffee and sat on the empty seat. It was almost time for the shift to over, since there were no meetings, the work had been done earlier than expected. I was free for 20 minutes. In my peaceful surrounding, my thoughts wandered to the quietness of actions. There was no hustle-bustle from Eliana's side. What were they intended to do? And as stated by Nesta, Alex's mother, what revenge did she want now? As if killing my father and having his fortune was not enough.

Nesta. She was a topic of another time for us. I needed to talk to Alex about listening to his mother for once. At least, be kind enough to have two ears. God knows what happened exactly that she had to take this step. Maybe she was wrong, but there had to be some justification for his parent's actions. I wonder how his father would be? Adamant, arrogant like him? Robust body, honey brown eyes?

My thoughts left me as I received a message from Alex.

I will be home by 9 at the night. Mark is with me. Will you be able to go home, love?
-Alex

Yes, I am just exiting the office. Meet you there.
-Teresa

I replied. After 5 minutes, his text came.

Okay, baby. Go home safe for me, please.
-Alex

His text made me smile as I exited the office and called a cab. My eyes drifted to the opposite lane, where a man with a black hoodie staring in my direction. Before I could snap my head again in his direction, he vanished. I ignored the chills and went home. Exhaustion and dizziness clouded my eyes, shouting at me to take a quick shower and a nap. I just did that and slept like a baby for hours.

Darkness greeted me from the open curtains as I saw the clock, showing 8 in the night. Alex would be home in an hour. Since I slept and forgot to switch on the lights, I was blinded by the darkness looming around me. My feet wobbled the moment I stood up and let my body know that I was standing. Ever felt that rolling of your brain when you jerk awake from bed suddenly and your iron deficiency kick in? Yeah, I felt that as I took a step in the left direction. My breathing was calm as I struggled to take each step in the black, steady and slow. A whisper of footsteps followed from the outside, making my mind think that Allex was probably home early.

I searched for my phone in my pyjama pocket, but it was somewhere, lost in the space, claiming itself to not be found when needed. It was a tough decision to go back to the bed and search for the phone once or go to the illuminated stairs outside the room. Little light peeking through the hole vanished as someone stood at the door. I took baby steps to the door and opened it ajar. All the air rushed out of my lungs as I saw the man standing in front of me was not the one I thought.