Chapter 12: My turn

Teresa's POV

In between the Thursday's hustle-bustle, sitting at my workplace cafe's coffee table, I sipped my coffee, my mind hazy with the thoughts of Alex. For the very first time, I had felt comfortable around someone so fast. Indeed, there was a long way to go, but my subconscious was telling me to trust everything and hold the hands of Alex.

He was adamant about not leaving my house for the entire weekend, not until he was called by his assistant for some business matters. Since Monday, he had been dropping me at my workplace in the morning and mornings couldn't be much better than that. I insisted on not doing the same for the evening, as he had no specific time to when he would leave the office.

No matter what, his business will always be his priority, which I would never utter a bad word about. I, out of all the people, understand truly what it takes to build such a big empire. He told me in one of our morning routines about his initial days and how much he had to change in order to let people listen to him. I cooed him for it; stating that he was such a softie from inside for people close to him and a hulk for outsiders.

My phone buzzed, displaying Jerry on the screen. I ignored his three calls since the weekend, which was like the highest in my entire timeline of knowing Jerry.

I swiped the green light off my phone screen and placed it on my ear, a smile plastering my face like always. "Hey Jerry. How are you, oldie?"

"Oh my god, my sweetie cupcake, I wish lord raise the hell for you to not picking my calls. I was so worried." he said.

The small tug of my lips turned into a full grown grin at the urgency of his voice. When I met him on the first day of my job, right after completing my graduation, he was several three levels above me. A boss and a mentor, I needed to grow in the world of corporate for the right direction. One day at the cafeteria, with the team I had been working with and he was leading, I talked to him and felt intrigued by the knowledge he possessed. An office friendship with this 50-year-old man turned into a deeper bond that I could have imagined.

Jerry lost his son in a car accident and he used to tell me that I am a perfect replica of the daughter he never had. The bold personality traits I shared with his son made him closer to me. On one thanksgiving I invited him and his wife as we shared the common trait of no blood family, along with Jessica as she didn't go to his parents that year. At least I am proud to say that I haven't looked back on the miseries since then.

Sometimes, intentionally or unintentionally, we create bonds that aren't blood related, and I guess that's what makes us the richest in the entire world. Money surely buys happiness, but that happiness is nothing if you can't spend it on the people you love.

Anyway, I caught myself back at the present and said, "You are so sweet Jerry, but I am fine. How is momma bear?"

"Are you sure you are fine? Momma bear is, well, a bear as always." He said, and I could feel him rolling his eyes, irrespective of the time zone difference.

"Hey! say nothing to her. She is my favourite." I said, twirling the coffee cup in my hands and taking a sip. Even though I had a strong relationship with Jerry, Mrs. Harrison was an absolute charm. The sweetest woman to walk on earth... in all honesty, a type of ideal grandma you want your kids to have.

"Don't change the topic. There is something fishy in your voice, I can smell it. Split it out, bitch." I heard some papers shuffling in the background, with kitchen cutlery being smashed in the sink as water flew. Definitely Mrs. Harrison was cooking some of her magic recipes.

My lips tugged upward, rolling my tongue over my teeth as I shook my head. He could be really caring and possessive in unnecessary times. "You are getting old. I said I am fine. The apartment is safe and cosy. The workplace is amazing with amazing people. Jessica will be here even after her delivery. What else do you want to know?"