Chapter 7: stranger ahead

Teresa's POV

I woke up with my puffy eyes, determined to not go back to that memory lane of how much it hurt that he did not even bother to show and I was a fool to wait for him for an hour. I cursed myself, hopping out of the bed to wash away the self loathing feeling out of my body as I quickly grabbing my laptop and settled myself on the chair beside the window.

Even, staying in this hotel with the knowledge that I made myself a topic of fun for the ungrateful brat was gulping boiled water down my throat. I wanted an out. From the fucking hotel.

Work had always been my greatest distraction. It had been so long since I had worked that I completely zoned out. My bubble broke when my phone buzzed, displaying Tina as my HR. I wonder what she wanted to say, not like any scolding or something. I mean, she had been the cutest and most supportive HR any company could have.

She and I grew into quite an office friendship.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Teresa. How are you?"

"Hey Tina, long time no talk. What made you dream about me?" I asked, shutting the laptop.

"Umm, well, I have called you for an official matter." Tiina said in a whisper. That made me realise how early, according to New York's time difference, she had been calling me.

"Wait, isn't it like super early morning there? Please tell me everything is okay. Oh god, is my old grandpa troubling you? I swear I will kick his ass once I get there."

"Calm the fuck down and no, Jerry is not troubling me. As for the issue, we need an urgent experienced project manager in our Paris branch, and you are living there. Will you fill up that place? If it was not important company wouldn't trouble you"

Wait, what!!! oh god, freak the fuck out Teresa!

I am freaking out!

"WHAT!" I said over the phone, and I swear Tina might have pulled her cell phone apart from her ears at the loud screaming I made. "Not only you are shifting me to France, but giving me a promotion as well? "

"I guess the best of the employees deserve the best." She said, making me roll my eyes.

The speed my heart was pumping blood in my chest, I was not sure if I was breathing. A few blinks of eye later, I sucked a sharp breath and gathered the courage. "This is so sudden, Tina. I am staying at a hotel, with no place in Paris. And what the fuck, you are giving me a promotion?"

"Relax Teresa, the company has set everything up. You will stay in Paris until the project completes, with your 1bhk apartment. Which, let me enlighten, has been fully furnished already just. You can even move in right now, if you want and if you are ready, of course. As for your setup, I am sure that we can look into it. Until then, use your laptops over there and the systems provided in the company. Oh, and no worries about your visa, we are working on it." she said.

"I... When do I start?" My throat escaped a nervous laugh without me knowing. Everything was happening so fast. Just hours ago, I had a mini heart attack, and I didn't have the strength to recover. Now this. "I mean... I don't know... It's so sudden...Do you think it is the right decision? "

"Teresa darling, this is- "Just as she was to complete, something fell from the near corner of the phone. Few whispers and hushed sounded through the intercom, but I was doomed. Completely, utterly doomed.

"Listen to me, you little ant. If you throw any other tantrum at my Tina, I will cut your hair in sleep and shave your eyebrows. So, pack your bags, go to the address, and start working your ass up." Jerry said, snatching the phone away from Tina after much effort from her. I wonder he was there all the time or passing his time in annoying the hell out of her. Either ways, Tina must have been pissed.