Chapter 28

Danielle's POV

"Here, I got her," Ted, I mean Sam, puts out his arms for Jason to hand me over on the other side of the window but Jason hesitates.

"It's okay, you can trust him," I try to assure him but I'm not as sure as I sound. He just told me that his name is Sam, not Ted which I thought. But I'm too tired to not trust him and at this point I'm having trouble keeping my eyes opened. I feel like I'll fall asleep any second now.

Jason looks down at me and I try to smile. He smiles back and then carefully hands me over to Ted, sorry, Sam through the window. For the first time in I don't know how long I am out in the fresh air again and I love how it feels when I fill my lungs with air that doesn't smell like mud. I take a few deep breaths. That wakes me up a bit but it's nothing compared to the sudden gunshot that rings through my ears. I take a sharp breath and try to not think of Natalie, Justin and Liam. I hope they're okay.

I think the horrified look on my face makes Jason act faster. He quickly jumps out of the window and reach out his arms when he is ready to take me again.

"I can take her now."

"It's okay, I got her."

"I don't care, hand her over."

"Do it, Ted. Sam," I correct myself. He sighs and does as he's told and I'm back in Jason familiar arms. I lean my head on his shoulder. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too," Jason mumbles before turning to Sam. "Come on. They're here any second." As if on que another gunshot is heard and a scream. Or more like a roar, to be honest. It sounds like an angry animal but like.... a human? I decide to ignore it and focus on what's important. The fact that I'll might pee my pants of fear if the gunshots come any closer.

Sam runs up to the corner of the house and carefully looks around it to make sure no one's there. "Holy shit," he mumbles.

"What?" Jason and I ask at the same time.

"There's like 15 people here. Did they come with you guys?" Sam waves us over and carefully Jason puts me down so we can look unnoticed. He makes sure to keep his arm around my waist, though.

"That's Allison. And Jane and William. Is the whole gang here?" I ask Jason.

"No, there were six of us when we got here."

"Liam must have sent backup."

"Or Michael came to help you when Robin and his guys returned."

"Who's Michael?" I ask with furrowed brows. I notice that Jason also looks confused, and turn to Sam.

Several gunshots are fired. "We need to get out of here."

"Yeah," Jason says and grabs me under my knees and waist and lifts me up. "Sam or Ted or whatever the hell your name is. You run first and make sure we get into the car that's on the driveway safely. Shoot before thinking, okay?"

Sam nods. "But hurry up. There's alot of your members here but Robin doesn't let noobs join his gang. They're good, they know how to kill and not get killed."

"Thanks man but just shoot if you have to."

Sam nods and then smiles at me. "You're going home."

I can't answer before he runs off and Jason follows after him but I really really hope that I am going home. And I hope that my friends are going home with me.

Natalie's POV

I've been shot before. It hurts like hell but that's not the worst part. Your body kind of goes into shock for a few seconds. It's like woah, what the hell is this bullet doing here and why is it hard to breathe? That's what I think my body would be thinking if it had a brain for itself. The signals my brain is getting are more like abort mission, abort mission, holy shit, what is happening?, abort mission, where is the restart button? And your kind of out of touch with reality for a few confusing seconds. You let go of your gun, stupid, you just lay down on the ground instead of trying to get away, also stupid, and you forget to keep track of where your enemy is, very stupid.