43: is

in reality, my body hurt a lot.

my limbs were always so cold, and my chest tightened every night.

what if i told her that the heart donor that matched mine, wasn't going to donate to me anymore?

it was going to someone else who's been waiting their whole life for it.

the doctor's asked me, if i wanted it or not.

otherwise, it'd go to that other patient who's been here longer.

i don't know why they even asked me. i just got here.

and there's no way i would be selfish enough to do that.

the guilt i'd have to live with for taking a heart that has been reserved for someone else.

i loved how my life was when she came.

i wanted to continue.

if only i hadn't wished to be gone before i met her.

"you just...?" hisano repeated, snapping me out of my thoughts.

she noticed my blank expression, me forgetting what i was about to say.

then, the sound of the door opening from behind me caught our attention.

"excuse me." the lady said. she had a clipboard in her hand, i don't think she was a nurse.

hisano stood up and went next to me. the lady began to speak while still holding the door open, "sorry to disturb you two, but jungwon's not allowed to have any visitors as of right now." she said, "i'll ask you kindly to leave."

i turned my head to the side, looking at hisano.

the lady spoke again, "take your time." she said, closing the door slowly.

hisano let out an airy sigh, she had a disappointed look on her face. then, she went closer to me, not sparing a glance. her arms moved under mine as she slowly hugged me.

"i can't wait for you to get outta here." she muttered, putting her cheek against my chest.

i slowly placed my hand on the back of her head, running my fingers through her hair, still getting used to the length it was at. i blushed at the thought, knowing it was me who cut her pretty hair like this.

hisano's my comfort. my safe place.

so, just a little bit more.

then, she pulled away, looking down and taking a deep breath before speaking, "u-um. i'll see you again at school!"

i just simply nodded. i was good at hiding the despair i was feeling by smiling.

something i learned from dr. seong, was how he smiled as he lied to me.

covering such feelings with a smile.

"yeah, see you." i replied hesitantly, walking her out with my hand sitting at her shoulder.

before she could exit, i stopped her. "hisano." i said, dropping my hand to my side.

she turned her head, "yeah?"

i brought my fingers together to fiddle with them, "will you please, wash my clothes for me? i want them to be clean when i leave this place." i asked politely, looking down, "please." i finished.

she chuckled.

i really wanted to see that.

"laundry boy, did you know that i hate doing laundry?" she asked. without letting me answer, she spoke again, "but, anything for you!" she said, pointing at me before she brought that finger up to poke my cheek.