36: i'm gonna die

was it even open?

the lights were still on, so they just went in.

"excuse me?" hisano walked up to the front counter and began talking to the lady.

"hi, what are you here for today? it's very late." the lady said, pulling her eyes away from the screen in front of her.

"um.." hisano looked back at jungwon, "we need to see doctor..."

jungwon finished her sentence, "seong. dr. seong." he said.

"what for?" the lady asked.

"his condition! it's very urgent. he missed his appointment so we need to see him now, please." she begged, giving the lady a pleading look.

she sighed and focused on the computer screen in front of her again, "what's his name? we don't do walk-in's this late, but i'll still try and talk to him."

"yang jungwon." hisano replied. jungwon was standing behind her. she held her hand out from behind her back so that he could hold it.

"okay. i'll be right back, wait here and take a seat." the lady pointed at the waiting area.

hisano thanked her with a bow and took a seat next to jungwon.

what she didn't know, was that jungwon's father had said some things that jungwon never knew about.

and that's what was running through jungwon's head as he zoned out. he still tried his best to hide it though.

he noticed how hisano tried her best at everything when it came to him.

she's was so kind to him.

her thumb rubbed his palm softly, it was her way of showing comfort. so subtle, yet it meant so much.

soon enough, the front desk lady and dr. seong arrived and called jungwon to come into one of the rooms.

hisano stood up hastily and followed as well, that was until dr. seong stopped her.

"sorry, who are you? if you're not jungwon's guardian then you cannot come in." dr. seong said, holding a hand out to stop her from moving forward.

"i-i'm.. i'm his aunt!" she said confidently.

jungwon slowly face palmed before looking back at hisano.

the doctor let out a loud laugh, "i'm sorry, young lady."

jungwon winced at the nickname.

"-but, you'll have to wait here. don't worry about your friend." dr. seong said hesitantly, as if he was forcing himself to say that.

they then proceeded to leave hisano behind.

she clenched her fists and just went back to her seat that she was previously sitting on.

biting her lips nervously somehow helped whenever she got worried.

"please be alright." she whispered.

~~

"jungwon." dr. seong began, "are you just living without a cellphone on you? you're alone now. you've got responsibilities." he sighed.

"why do i need a phone?" jungwon asked, fiddling with his jaw strings.

"because how will anyone contact you? you just gave me the number of your roommate a week ago and when i called, he said you weren't home." dr. seong explained, "these weekly appointments are very important, jungwon."

"you said i was fine a week ago, you said nothing's wrong." jungwon replied.

"yes, but that doesn't mean you're free from these consultations."