Chapter 23: Risks

Yeonjun stood outside the door of his hotel, slouching and blankly staring at the keypad on the door. He eventually sighed, and entered the code for the keypad as the door opened and he stepped in.

"Oh, hyung, I talked to Hyunjin and he said we need to start the project on the QKs asap-"

Yeonjun walked past the living room, ignoring his direct junior HueningKai's words, as he just walked to his room, shutting the door behind him.

Yeonjun opened his laptop, mindlessly scrolling through articles about recent vampire sightings, attacks, captures till he finally ran his hand through his hair, sighing again.

"Shit, I fucked up, didn't I?"

He said to himself, eventually just ending up thinking over and over about the events of the night. As he was still blankly staring and scrolling through the articles and videos, one video caught his eye.

He immediately snapped out of his mind and paid close attention to the video.

It was taken by a civilian. They were filming the inside of a closed supermarket with just one light constantly flickering on and off from outside, on a sidewalk.

It was dark but you could still make out a silhouette. Two silhouettes. Three, four.. six silhouettes.

Suddenly there were ten red flashing orbs in the dark.. Almost seeming like eyes. The person recording immediately left the street as soon glass was heard breaking behind them, as the person ran away from the area, soon stopping the recording.

As Yeonjun scrolled further down the page, he found a link attached to the video's caption. As he clicked on it, it took him to a news forecast. Worse was, it was live.

Yeonjun immediately took his laptop as he walked fast out of his room, only to see Hueningkai and Taehyun already watching the forecast. Yeonjun put down his laptop as he watched the forecast with the other two:

'This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. We are being reported live from Matsudo Shinden Station, near the local 7-11 Minoridai Ekimae. A group of hostile vampires are seen on a rampage in the area. If you live anywhere near the area or in the neighbourhood, kindly close all lights and keep your doors and windows shut. Stay as quiet as you can and do not let them know of your existence in any way.

This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.

...'

"Shit.."

"We have to do something."

Taehyun said as Yeonjun followed. Hueningkai looked back at the eldest, as did Taehyun with anxious eyes.

"But everyone thinks we're injured and still under heavy recovery, if we go in now-"

"It's either we blow our cover or let thousands die."

There was silence for a few moments, as the TV played in the background. Reporting from an aerial view was being broadcasted of the destruction happening.

"But we don't even have QKs. If we jump in now, we're only gonna end up dead ourselves."

"I'll manage that, for now we need to move fast."