Chapter 22: Flashbacks

Yoona stopped at a convenience store on her way back to the base, and decided to take the longer route. She neared the door of the store as it opened up automatically and she walked in with her hands in her pocket. She walked around the store, eventually picking up a small bottle of a drink she used to drink when she was younger. The packaging of the drink was cute with a little girl and boy in a field, so happy.

It somehow reminded her of what just happened a few minutes ago.

'As if someone would care.. so fucking stupid'

She stood near the checkout as the cashier was helping an older man check out his groceries. The man was placing his groceries out one by one on the small checkout station each time the cashier scanned another item. He didn't have much stuff, but he was still taking so fucking long.

Yoona nevertheless, waited patiently. The man set down his final item as Yoona approached the station to place her drink which was now slightly wet from the outside from condensing. Just as she was about to place her item down, she got a peek at the man's last item. It was the same drink. Same packaging and everything.

"Ah, are these for your grandchildren, sir?"

The cashier asked the old man, chuckling. The man just nodded in a no before speaking up with a weary smile.

"No.. I don't have grandchildren yet.. these.. My daughter used to love these when she was younger.."

Yoona's face darkened as she heard those words, her eyes widened.

'What's happening? How is that even fucking possible?'

She didn't want to dare to look up at the man's face, scenes from her childhood were flooding her mind as she started to zone out of reality.

"Ma'am? Ma'am, are you okay?"

The cashier asked Yoona as she still didn't seem to snap out of it. The man turned around to see a woman standing behind him, her face covered with a mask and eyes covered with the hood of her sweatshirt. He gently placed his hand on her shoulder and shook her as Yoona snapped out of it instantly.

As soon as she zoned back in, seeing the face of the old man startled her as hastily pulled away from his grip, eyes widened. What she feared was right there in front of her.

Yoona noticed how the man's eyes were wide too as she realized her mask had slid down a bit and her hoodie exposed her eyes which, though weren't in their vampire state, were still give-away of her identity to this man. She immediately fixed her mask and hood, as she pulled out money from her pocket as the old man beside her, stood there fazed as he spoke again.

"D-dear.. do you mind showing me your face for a-a second?"