Twenty-four

endangered position

Stella smiled at the sight of Gabrielle going through her wardrobe as she insisted on putting an outfit together. She pulled out a pair of khaki trousers, a white bustier and a white silk shirt.

"Try that," Gabrielle smiled.

Stella nodded and picked up the items and headed into the closet. She removed her dressing gown and dressed in the outfit picked for her. Stella put on a pair of block heels and grabbed a cream Saint Laurent clutch bag.

She did some of her make up. She could hear chatter and assumed the others got there too.

Gabrielle looked at Stella and rolled her eyes. She neared her and undid a button on the blouse, showing the lace on her bustier. "There, less workie." She winked and sipped at her glass of prosecco.

"Looks good." Victoria nodded from her position reclined on the bed like a king watching his concubines flutter around.

"Is Daniel coming?" Gabrielle asked.

"He'll meet us there."

A small knock on the door echoed before it pushed open to reveal Lexi peeking in. She walked in and brought along three different outfits.

"I'm not sure what to wear," she murmured.

"Let's have a look," Gabrielle spoke up and ushered her over.

Victoria sat up and looked at the clothes spread out before her. She took one look and pointed at a simple black dress.

Gabrielle nodded in agreement.

"Everything else is so... nouveau riche," she drawled and took a sip of her prosecco.

Lexi frowned and looked up. "What does that mean?"

"New money," Gabrielle piped up.

"Well, she kind of is." Stella shrugged.

"We're all old money, dear. New money tends to flaunt it with logos and labels." Victoria pointed to the Louis Vuitton skirt and the Gucci top.

"It's not bad, it's just our style, I guess." Gabrielle shrugged.

Lexi nodded and picked up her dress and left.

"Be nice to the girl," Gabrielle admonished.

Victoria blinked at her. "I am. Aren't I giving advice? You know a lot of the women look down on those who walk around like advertisements. I'm just saving her the trouble of being ridiculed and embarrassed by the bitchy. You know what the younger girls are like."

"I guess." She shrugged and grabbed her own clothes, a rust-coloured silk dress, and entered the bathroom. The door clicked behind her, and Victoria turned to Stella.

"Am I mean?"

Stella laughed. "You're just Victoria."

"I'll take it." She smiled and sipped her drink.

Lexi returned followed by Gabrielle in a figure-hugging dress.

"Dante is going to have some trouble containing himself tonight." Victoria grinned.

Stella nodded in agreement as she looked over the knee length dress.

Gabrielle revealed a wicked grin. "You know what I'm doing tonight?"

"I'm sure that's what you do every night." Victoria rolled her eyes before looking at her glass in thought. Her eyes slid to Stella with a sinful glint. "Are you looking forward to the world of sex after marriage?" She watched in amusement as her usually unflappable friend flushed all the way to her ears.