Sixty-five

killer

A mild concussion, bruising and minor lacerations caused by blunt force trauma. 

She wore a black, swollen right eye, while the left just had minor bruising. Her lip was busted, a cut decorated her cheek bone and discolouration littered around her body. 

The most painful was her stomach.

It took a few hours and a couple of scans to come to the conclusion that most of her injuries were superficial. It was just heavy bruising with no internal injuries, thankfully. She was lucky but still needed to take it easy while her mistreated muscles recovered. The doctor said if she was hit any harder there could have been organ damage or breaks. Once they saw her under the bright fluorescent lights, they were all expecting at least a broken rib. 

Stella was surprised she didn't have a worse concussion. She could feel her brain rattle in her head when she was hit and the pain in her head said as much.

Cas took her to Ida's mansion who was still asleep at that time, but they were received by Philip who said Ida would be made aware of the situation in the morning. 

Casper ushered Stella to the guest room she claimed for when she stayed with her grandmother on occasion. There was little conversation between them. Neither really wanted to dispel the peaceful silence after such a chaotic night. 

Internally, Casper was fuming. He ordered his men to bolster security. It was agreed between him and Richard that they would have more men scattered in and around the property. He had no idea what happened, and he was ready to face Mr Brown and Mr White who were no doubt breaking into a cold sweat. 

Stella climbed into bed and Cas climbed in after her. His arms wrapped around her, careful enough of her injuries, but not ginger enough to make Stella feel as though she was a china doll. 

A shuddering breath escaped her as her tense muscles eased with the warmth at her back soothing her paining bones and muscles, and the coldness left on her skin from the ice. 

She couldn't bring herself to close her eyes. It was all just so terrible. Cas, similarly didn't close his eyes. He just stroked her arm and revelled in the security of having her near him. 

He didn't want to leave her there, but he had to. 

"Try to get some sleep, Stella," he murmured and pressed a kiss to her temple. 

She heaved a sigh and looked over her shoulder at him. "I'll try," she croaked. She lowered her eyes that would reveal her longing and want for him stay. Her fingers clenched onto the blanket as he started to move. The soothing heat leaving with him. She knew he needed to go and she knew why. It was just that he made her feel so secure.

"I promise I'll be back soon. Philip will be here to check on you, if you're still in pain, just call him. If you need anything, tell me or ask Philip to. I have a few things to handle but, I promise if you need me, I'll drop it all and come back."

"I'll be fine," she whispered.

Cas sighed and pressed a kiss to the corner of her lips. "I won't be too long," he whispered against her injured cheek. He forced himself to remove himself from the bed and tucked her in. After a lingering kiss to her forehead he turned around left. 

The moment he closed the door behind him, his face warped into an expression of pure rage. His fists clenched and his jaw clenched so hard it was a wonder his teeth didn't crack. Philip kept mum, while eyeing the veins popping up on his forehead and neck. 

"Look after her," Cas stormed past the older man who just nodded and watched him go. Of course, Philip didn't hold it against him.