Thirty-three

mr pale blue eyes

Ida sat on the sofa in Stella's hotel room and watched as she was zipped into her dress.

"It really is very lovely." She looked at the detailing on the bodice, skirt, and over skirt that flowed at the back. "The fit is perfect, Gabrielle. You really went to a lot of effort for this one."

Gabrielle grinned. "I love it. I think it's perfect for her."

Stella's hair was twisted into a classy updo, showing the details of the dress, and exposing her face. An ornate hairpin sat in her hair decorated with pearls and flowers. Ida thought it would do very nicely with her dress and took it from her collection.

"I still can't believe you're not telling me his identity."

"Child, would you let that go?"

"No, we're supposed to be friends, Mrs Ida," she whined.

"There's not even two hours to go, girl."

Gabrielle huffed. "It's still a long wait."

Ida chuckled and shook her head. A knock echoed on the door and Gabrielle went to open it. Her eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets before she stepped aside with a face that was the epitome of speechless.

"Absolutely not," Ida stated and shook her head, standing from her seat. "No."

Stella turned around and inwardly cringed at the dress Lexi was wearing. It was far too low cut with a thigh high split. One or the other might have been fine, but considering they had this discussion once before, she should have known better. It was a nice dress, she had to admit, but not at all appropriate for the occasion.

Gina sighed, she tried to tell Lexi it wasn't a good choice, but she argued it was too late and she didn't have another dress.

"This is not appropriate." Ida glowered at the girl.

"This is my only dress," Lexi defended. "Besides, it's pretty and my friends said it would be perfect."

"It might be pretty but it's not for this occasion."

"I don't have another dress to wear!" she exclaimed.

"Then borrow one from Stella." Ida swung her gaze to Gabrielle. "Please, take her to Richard's and get another dress. I don't care what it is as long as it's appropriate!"

Gabrielle swiped her keys and all but dragged Lexi out of the hotel room.

"What on earth were you thinking allowing her to wear that?" Ida glowered at Gina.

Gina sighed. "She bought it herself. I didn't see it until just before. I'm sorry Ida. I trusted her judgement."

Ida waved her off and heaved out a breath. "She's become much more arrogant, that girl." Ida huffed. "That better not become a problem."

"No, of course not." Gina frowned and pursed her lips. She looked to Stella and managed a tight smile. "You look beautiful, Stella."

Gabrielle threw open the doors where all Stella's gowns were kept. She filtered through the dresses and huffed when she couldn't find something suitable.

"Just how many dresses does she have?" Lexi muttered.

"A few. They're from different occasions over the years."

"What about this?"

She looked over her shoulder to see Lexi holding a gold dress.

"No, it won't fit, and the fabric has no stretch," she mumbled and kept going through dresses, finally stopping on one. A long sleeve wine red dress. "This."