Forty

i'm enough of a gift

Gina's friends stared at Robert, Cas and Richard standing together as they discuss business. Heather had to make sure she wasn't drooling and discreetly checked her chin.

"Ah, how are you, Jonathan?" Richard greeted him with a smile.

"I'm well, M- uh Richard," he stammered making his wife look at him with a frown.

"Are you joining us?"

"No, no, I'm just dropping Leanne off," he wore a tremulous smile. "I'll be getting out of your hair in a minute."

"Oh, what a pity." Richard sighed.

Cas's eyes darted between Richard and Jonathan. Robert leaned in and whispered in Cas's ear. His face became blank, and eyes cooled. Upon seeing this Jonathan gulped and looked back to Richard.

"If you change your mind, please let us know."

Stella came walking in and Cas immediately held his hand out as if to keep her away from a predator. Stella, none-the-wiser, just smiled and took his hand. He kissed her knuckles. 

Sighs were heard from the ladies.

Jonathan's eyes moved to Stella on their own accord and glanced at her legs. He snapped his gaze back to Richard and gulped at the smile on his face and severe threat in his eyes. It was as though a hurricane warning was roaring in his head and telling him to take cover.

"I better get going." He walked out without kissing his wife goodbye.

"Is he feeling unwell?" Richard asked Leanne.

"He had the sweats on the way over. He probably ate something he shouldn't have." Leanne shrugged. "He'll be fine."

"Ah, that must be it." Richard nodded.

"Do send our well wishes." Robert smiled.

"Oh, you two are so sweet."

"There's tea and cakes waiting for you over there." Richard stepped forward and ushered her over to the others. "If you don't like tea, we also have coffee and a range of other beverages. Feel free to ask." Richard looked over his shoulder. "Children, please join us for a while."

Stella and Robert both sighed.

"Oh yes! Please join us!" Heather's eyes lit up. There was just too much eye candy, and she wasn't ashamed of it.

Stella looked at Cas and scrunched her nose up. He smiled and tapped her nose before following Robert over who was dragging his feet.

"I saw you on the news last week, Stella," Amy stated. "I didn't think you would have that in you."

Richard paused and Robert narrowed his eyes while Stella chuckled as she was wedged between Leanne and Cas. "I'm not just a pretty face with a bank account, Ms Amy."

"Oh no, I'm sorry. I wasn't implying that's what you were." She put her cup down. "I meant you seem so... soft."

Stella shrugged. "I don't like loud bombastic confrontations with more accusations and yelling than resolution. I tend to keep away from those." She sighed, leaning into Cas as they were squashed together on the sofa.

"What are you going to do now that you're suspended, Richard?" Louise asked with a frown.

He shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"You better do something. You've just been moping around." Gina sighed.

"With all that money, should find something to do," Amy murmured.