Eighteen

her name was lola, she was a show girl

Stella climbed down the stairs in a little asymmetrical black dress and red heels. Her hands ran through her hair to loosen up the waves.

"You look nice," Gina commented.

"Thank you," Stella nodded to the woman on the sofa. "Has Robert come down yet?"

"Not that I know of."

Stella checked the phone that sat in her clutch.

"Where are you off to tonight?" Richard asked.

"Gabrielle booked a booth at The Spirit."

"Can I come?" Lexi peeked her head in.

"You're not twenty-one." Stella's brows pulled together.

"I don't have to drink." She shrugged and looked to her mom and Richard begging for permission to go and hopefully drink.

Stella parted her nude painted lips to refuse but was cut off.

"You can go," Gina sighed. "No more than two drinks. If you come back drunk or even tipsy, you'll be hearing about it."

Stella pressed her lips back together and sighed when Lexi squealed and bounded up the stairs. She decided to sit down and close her eyes. Richard peered at her.

"Are you alright, Stella? Perhaps you should stay home."

She hummed. "I'm fine. I always feel sleepy before going out." She blinked her eyes open and looked at her father. "I'll perk up once I'm there, I'm sure."

"Ready to go?" Robert appeared.

"You haven't changed at all." Her brows raised.

"I took my tie off." He shrugged. Stella gestured for him to bend down, and she fixed his collar and unbuttoned a button or two. "We should leave soon if we don't want to be late."

"Lexi is getting ready," Gina chirped.

"Pardon?" Robert's brows pulled together.

"Lexi asked if she could go. She's only allowed two drinks maximum," Richard murmured.

Robert sighed and sat beside Stella. "That's a nice dress, Stella."

"Thank you, Brother." She smiled and sat back. "What time are we supposed to be there?"

"Eight," he drawled. He hated being late. An irked line sat between his brows. "How long do you think it will take her to get ready?"

"I'm not sure. I'm hoping only another ten." She pulled out her phone and opened the messenger. "I'll send Gabrielle a text and let her know we might be late."

"How did Victoria find London?" Richard made conversation.

"She loved it. I think the appeal of jumping on a train to Paris for a weekend took hold of her. She has always been the more adventurous sort among us."

"As long as she still had her comforts, that is," Robert added.

Gina frowned at the mention of Victoria. They briefly spoke when she was greeting Richard and Gina at the party. She was very cold and held a critical glint in her eye that didn't sit well with Gina, though Victoria was polite enough she got the feeling she didn't approve of her, and she wasn't sure how to feel about it.

After ten minutes the clicking of heels carried through the space and Lexi appeared. She smiled and fixed her top strap and skirt.

Stella and Robert both stood to their feet. Stella blinked at Lexi while Robert's lips parted but no sound came out.