Forty-one

karma

"Mr Van der Meer," Mr Brown greeted.

"Mr Brown," Cas nodded. "Have a seat. I assume you have some information for me."

"Yes, sir." He sat in his chair. "I looked into Bernadette Williams and found out someone is paying for her lawyer. I can't figure out who, but I do know it isn't Ms Williams. I believe someone is just toying with the Callahans."

Cas frowned and sat back. "Is that all you've found?"

"Just about, sir. I can't find who's behind her."

"They're hidden better than I thought." 

"If they're connected to the De Lucas, they've had years to plan and hide." 

"Have more people assist you." He pressed his lips together. "What's going on with the case?"

"Well, considering her assets are frozen she can't afford bail so she's requesting for it to be reduced. Her daughter doesn't have a lot of money so she can only put forward so much."

Cas pursed his lips. "Get that application approved. Either pay some of it but don't let them know or have it reduced." His finger tapped the wood of his desk. "Follow her. Find out who she meets, monitor her phone calls and emails. I don't care how you do it. Just do it."

"Yes, sir." He nodded.

"That's all for now. Call me if you have anything."

"Understood." Mr Brown stood from his seat and left.

Cas sat for a moment, finger tapping the wood before lighting a cigarette and grabbing his phone before hitting dial. "Mr Callahan, I think we should meet as soon as possible." He checked his watch. "I have time now, I can either meet you or we can-" He sighed. "I'll let my assistant know to expect you."

Richard hung up his phone and threw his coat on before walking out. If Cas wanted to meet about something, he assumed it was serious and most likely has something to do with Stella.

He drove to the Van der Meer's office building and followed the directions to the CEO's office.

"Mr Callahan," his assistant stood up. "Mr Van der Meer is waiting for you in his office." She went to show him in, but he waved her off.

"I can see myself in, thank you," he glanced at her name plate, "Theresa."

She smiled and nodded.

He opened the door and saw Cas's gaze snap to Richard. He stood up and held his hand out. "It's good to see you, Mr Callahan."

"You too, Cas." He shook his hand and sat in the offered seat. "Now, what's going on."

"Since the embezzlement case came to light, I had Mr Brown investigate Ms Williams. It doesn't seem as though she's working with anyone, however her lawyers are being paid for by someone else."

Richard's brows furrowed. "Do you mind if I smoke?"

"Not at all," he placed an ashtray before him and switched the exhaust fan on.

"What else did Mr Brown find out?"

"Not a lot. He can't find who it is. Which is the problem. Currently, Ms Williams can't make bail with her current funds. I instructed Mr Brown to assist and have her watched and phones tapped."

Richard nodded. "Good idea."

He pursed his lips and leaned on his arms on the desk. "I would like to know more about the conflict with De Luca."