Could Be Better

Kyu's POV

It is 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and no one knows where I am....my grandma, Amy, is a dunce when it comes to finding me. My granddad Tommy isn't better either in that case. Besides that, I am on my way to the town....like my plans to explore just might work out.

I see the gates that lead to the village, and there are guards looking over the entrance. Their uniforms seem oddly familiar to me. I think I saw one of those uniforms on the island when I was 7 years old, and the person was talking to my granddad about something. The person handed him something that I "stole" and kept for awhile until I left the island. My days of training or meditating have got me somewhere, even though I didn't want to do jack shit in the first place. I wait till one of the guards went into the village, and I took the opportunity to take the other guard down. He was a loud one, but a simple kick to the back of his head was enough to put him to sleep. I went inside of the gates and saw the town for what it was....flowers alongside the houses and the smell of meat made me hungry, but I had some exploring to do.....adventure first, food later.

I don't know what it is about this place, but I feel like people are staring at me and I think that some guy is following me as well. I stopped walking and the guy bumped into me. I turned around and grabbed the guy by his head, and punched him straight in the jaw. That's when I suddenly realized he wore the same uniform as the guards outside the town, but his had something that others didn't....he had a red sash across his abdomen. I guess that symbolized something that I don't know, but I might figure it out soon. He stood back up and walked around me, almost like he is studying my appearance....I honestly don't want know what he is thinking in that head of his, but whatever it is, I'll knock it out of him.

First day here, and I'm already in trouble. I am sitting before this guy I just hit and he is smiling from one ear to another. It is creeping me out to say the least, and he is fiddling with the item I took from my granddad. He explained that his name was Arrow and that he was the captain of the squad behind the scenes.

Captain Arrow - Do you know what this is?

Kyu - Why would I know...I took it when I was 7 years old, secluded on an island a few miles out from here.

Captain Arrow - Wait, you said you were on an island when you stole this?

Kyu - Yeah...what difference is it gonna make if I said something totally different?

Captain Arrow - I'll be right back with a friend of mine.

Kyu - Ok?

He left for about 15 minutes and boredom struck faster than ever. By the time the door opened, Arrow came back with his friend and then I was examined once again.

Kyu - Ok, seriously....what is it with you guys and examining me all of sudden?

Nico - Allow me to explain that...my name is Captain Nico, and the reason you're being examined is because you have something you don't know about.

Kyu - I read that thing last month....it talked about a little girl who parent's died and she was shipped off to an island with her grandparents. I was told my parents died in a fire...but that thing says that girl's parents died in a double homicide....they even said she has a symbol on her stomach. If I'm not mistaken, that's the exact same symbol that is on my stomach.

Captain Arrow - Nico, can I speak to you outside?

Kyu - No...whatever you have to say, you can say it front of me.

Nico - I don't think you want that....

Kyu - Just say it, you dumb piece of shit.

Nico - Take it easy on the language there kid.

Kyu - My name is Kyu for crying out loud....how many times did I say that to him, now I gotta repeat myself all over again.

Nico - Wait....you said your name was Kyu, right?

Kyu - I just said that...wow, you're the captains and you can't even remember my name. Shame on you guys for that.

Nico - Should I tell her the story Arrow?

Captain Arrow - I think it's best that she knows the truth, so go ahead.

Kyu - What?

Nico - There was a mother and father who were arguing one night. They had both died in a double homicide, and there was a baby in a room crying. There were officers who came to that house that night. I was one of the men, who witnessed the bodies on the floor. I had a team carry the baby out of the house, and watch over her until the bodies were out of the way. The baby was still crying until the full moon had occured. A symbol appeared on her stomach and I had to send her away as a safety precaution. Her grandparents were asked to watch over her. I'm afraid to say this, but that baby was you, Kyu.

Kyu - What?

Captain Arrow - That baby was you....we had to keep you in hiding for years until people forgot the events that happened that night. I'm sorry that you never knew the truth from the start.

After all these years, I was lied to....how could my own grandparents hide the truth from me or even these captains? I could've handled the truth better years ago, than the way I'm handling it right now. I'm trying not to cry in front of these guys, but it is hard to realize the truth....it is so hard. I stood up and walked out of the building....I made it to the gates before Nico stopped me.

Nico - Kyu, wait?

Kyu - Is there something else that you hid from me?

Nico - Listen...I did it to protect you from the harms of judgement.

Kyu - I'm already judged...look throughout the town and you can see their eyes placed on me. They know what I am, and they don't like me at all.

Nico - That's because they sympathize with you....most of them have lost their parents in the past.

Kyu - What?

Nico - I'm sorry that it had to happen to you like this....

I don't know what came over me, but I ran into his arms and cried. He consoled me the best way he could, but the pain was too hard to bear....it took a long time for me to stop crying. I guess this day could've have been better if I didn't hit Arrow in the face. I wouldn't have known the truth about my parents or my grandparents. Sometimes, I wish that I never stole that damned thing in the first place.