Chapter 30 - The Encounter

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Althea Melody (POV)

"Um...excuse me, could you please take me to the entrance of Silver Peak Mountain?" I asked the man, who looked at me with surprise.

"Silver Peak Mountain? Are you heading there, young lady?" he inquired, concern evident in his voice.

"Where's your guardian? It's not safe for a child like you to go to such a dangerous place alone," he continued, his brows furrowed. But I just smiled and showed him the money I had.

"Alright, you can sit next to me. I'll take you there," he said kindly, helping me climb up beside him.

"May I know why you're going to such a dangerous place?" he asked as we started moving, the scenery passing by. I glanced around before meeting his gaze.

"Hmm, why do you need to meet someone there? Silver Peak Mountain isn't exactly a meeting spot," he remarked, sounding puzzled.

"That place is notorious for its heavy snowfall. No one has ever returned alive from that mountain," he continued, his tone serious. I simply nodded in response.

"Oh, I see," I replied with a gentle smile.

"Is the young lady not afraid of death?" he asked, his brow furrowing in concern. I paused to consider his question.

"I think...everyone is afraid of death because we don't know what comes after," I replied thoughtfully, and he nodded in understanding.

"That's true," he agreed, and we fell into a comfortable silence.

(When I reach the entrance of Silver Peak Mountain, I need to stay alert.)

(It's guarded by Snow Elves or Ice Elves, and they're not known for being friendly.)

"You should be careful. The mountain is heavily patrolled by unfriendly ice elves. That's why some people never return," he warned, and I nodded in understanding.

"Also, young lady, I'm afraid I may not be able to take you all the way to the entrance of Silver Peak Mountain," he admitted, and I turned to him, curious.

"Why's that?" I asked."We'll have to stop at the nearest town before we reach the Silver Peak Mountain. I'm afraid I can't take you all the way to the entrance," he explained, returning half of the money I'd paid him.

"That's fine. If it's a town close to the mountain, I can manage the rest of the way on foot," I replied, accepting the returned money with a nod.

🦋 - - - ✄ - - - -🦋

I then woke up after feeling the carriage stop, and as I glanced at the sky, I noticed it was already nighttime.

"Where are we right now?" I wondered to myself.

Looking around, I found us surrounded by tall trees, making it hard to see much beyond. The carriage had halted on the road.

"Where is this place?" I mumbled as I stepped out of the carriage.

"Are we near the town he mentioned?" I pondered, squinting into the darkness.

"If so, maybe I can walk there," I considered, weighing my options.

"But my legs don't seem to want to cooperate tonight," I muttered to myself, feeling a bit frustrated as I stayed by the horse.

"Did he go off to pee?" I wondered aloud, looking around for any sign of him.

A noise from behind the bushes caught my attention.

"What was that?" I asked myself, feeling a bit nervous.

"Is it... an animal?" I guessed, my mind racing.

The strange sound that followed made me feel uneasy.

"What kind of animal makes that noise?" I thought, feeling a bit scared.

Despite feeling hesitant, I called out softly, "Hello?"

My heart started racing faster, and I felt a bit spooked.

"Why do I feel like someone's watching me?" I said to myself, feeling a chill down my spine.

"Who's there?" I called out as I cautiously approached the bush. Suddenly, a bunny hopped out, startling me.

"Oh, you scared me, little one," I said with a smile, but my smile faded when I noticed a body lying on the ground behind the carriage.

(A-Am I seeing things?)

I dropped the bunny from my arms and hurried over to the body. My worst fears were confirmed.

"Oh my God," I gasped, covering my mouth in shock. I couldn't move, frozen in place by the sight before me.

The body before me was missing its lower half, the same person who had been sitting next to me just an hour ago. I felt sick to my stomach and started vomiting.

"Blurrghhh…"

Looking back at the body, I couldn't shake off the chills.

"What kind of monster did this??? H-Holy Christ," I muttered, quickly taking off my cloak to cover the body on the ground.

"Ah, disgusting… Rest in peace and don't haunt me," I whispered, turning around only to find a six-foot-tall figure standing inches away from me.

Its eyes resembled those of an owl, sharp claws and teeth protruded from its mouth. I could see it clearly, with a long tongue and three tentacles, each with its own mouth. Its face was utterly disgusting and horrifying!

"Ew! Oh my god, get away from me!" I exclaimed, taking a step back. The monster tilted its head, its creepy eyes fixed on me.

"Impossible," the monster declared, its voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Pardon? What's impossible? And you can talk?" I asked, staring at the horrifying creature before me.

"Impossible!!!" the monster yelled, its voice echoing in a strange pitch.

"What are you yelling at me?! What's impossible, you ugly, horrifying monster?" I shouted back, my voice shaking with fear.

"T-This... how is it possible that you're still alive?! I have killed you! Your body should have been lifeless!" the monster exclaimed, its voice trembling with disbelief. I stood there, staring at it in shock.
.
.
.
.🦋