[33] Promise

Hello everyone!

There's a lot going on (long chapter too) so here is what's in store for this one: Talking. Everyone dealing with the aftermath of the news. Guilt. Fluff. And some more! So I hope you're excited!

Enjoy!

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Ratchet]

"There's no need to panic!"

Qwark looked around, addressing the small crowd of soldiers who were in distress. Ratchet and Nefarious stood way in the back, arms crossed as they listened to the man speak.

Since the wanted posters were revealed, everyone, including Qwark was worried beyond belief. Not just because a bounty was on their heads, but also because The Creator had a better chance of finding their hideout.

That was the most worrying thing to him. He wasn't so concerned about himself being targeted, but he was mostly concerned about the innocent survivors here. People were wounded and unable to defend themselves. There were children and babies and people that were sick.

One of the soldiers in the crowd stepped forward, "We can't just sit here and let this happen! Before we know it, The Creator will be knocking at our doorstep and kill us all!" people around them nodded in agreement, "Yeah! The longer we stay here, the more we put ourselves at risk!" another said.

Qwark started to rub the back of his neck, a nervous habit, "Look, I-I understand that! B-But think about it! We can't just up and leave without there being a safer place to stay out there!"

Ratchet looked towards Nefarious. Looks like they both agreed with the man.

The small group went silent at that, only one person having enough hope left to speak up, "B-But...what do we do?"

Qwark became a bit of a stuttering mess at that question, "U-Uhm..." he made eye contact with Ratchet then, a silent cry for help.

Standing up straight, Ratchet walked forward, parting the crowd as he went to stand next to Qwark, who sighed in relief.

"We fight." Ratchet said simply, "I know most of us are wounded, sick, and tired of the fighting. But the only way for this to really end is by standing up for"

"Easy for you to say!" he was interrupted, "You and your kind have done close to nothing this whole time! You all left us to defend ourselves!"

"But I'm here!" Ratchet said coldly, "I am not responsible for everyone else on my planet and their decisions, but I am here helping you now while I am not even allowed to be off the planet in the first place!" his eyes moved across the crowd, making eye contact with a few, "I saved some of you on the battlefield already. I even stayed behind to look for survivors, risking my own life. So you can complain about me being here all you fucking want, but I will not cower in the face of evil-" he glared, "Like most of you are."

Many of the people looked angered, "I know most of you are devastated by what The Creator is doing, but running away is not going to solve anything. On top of that, we have no other place to go." he looked up towards Qwark, "Unless we have some sort of plan, leaving is not an option."

Qwark looked down at him, "What...kind of plan?"

"Anything is better than just sitting around!" Ratchet replied, "There are a few ships that we can send out to possibly scout out other planets to see if they're safe. But then again, we are risking being seen or captured at that point." Ratchet tapped his chin in thought, "But then again, the longer we sit here, the more likely we are to be found...."