[8] Safe With Me

Smaller chapter today, we all need a breather. Hope you enjoy it!

Also, some warnings with some context :

(READ!!!)TW : Panic Attack (briefly). - Ratchet recollects a memory in this chapter, which causes him a lot of distress. If you are too nervous to read these sections, I will put warnings before these sections in bold, underlined, and italicized letters. [Like This]

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Ratchet]

Things were a bit quieter during those 3 days.

Kaden and Phoebe were not angry at him anymore. They went easy on him for the next 3 days that he was confined to the house. He helped Phoebe cook whenever she got home and helped in the garden on the last day of his grounding. He watched Kaden work in the garage silently while he repaired a thruster to a trading goods transport ship. All in all, Ratchet had no complaints about it, they were pretty lenient on him, after all.

On the dawn of the fourth day, Kaden woke him up, which was surprising. Considering the fact that he wasn't on a strict sleeping schedule most of the time. Not that he cared, he rarely got sleep.

"Oh, you okay kid? You look exhausted!" and Ratchet grumbled, too early for him to speak. Kaden chuckled, "okay then, well I guess you want to miss the surprise I have for you?" Ratchet lifted his head up, his brain just starting to work the longer he was awake, "Surprise?" he asked, not sure if he heard correctly. Kaden nodded, "Yep! I want to get going as soon as possible. I'm sure you'll love it!" Even though I don't know what the surprise is myself...Kaden thought. Ratchet flopped his head back down, "5 minutes..." He whispered. Kaden smiled quietly, before exiting the room.

True to his word, Ratchet was ready faster than Kaden could blink, teeth brushed and fur neat. He still yawned, but he was awake enough to get going. Kaden tapped his pants pocket, making sure he had the yellow note slipped inside, before they left the house.

"I forgot to ask, how is your leg doing? I don't think I ever saw you use the wheelchair..." He asked, a bit concerned. Ratchet meekly replied, "Still painful, but it's getting better. I'm more sore than anything else." Kaden sighed, "I'm glad."

Together, they walked to the city square, many people greeting them along the way. It wasn't until they passed the Race Coordinators building did Ratchet pause, and look at the crowd. "W-what's going on?" he asked Kaden, who stopped to stare as well. "Well, after what happened at the hoverboard race, people haven't been happy, to say the least. They are downright furious. You and most others got injured during the race, and it could have been way worse." he explained, "These people want the race coordinators to take the blame for what they did, hell, our top racers are even in on it."

Ratchet nodded in understanding, taking note of the signs that some held up, all written in Lombaxian. In all honesty, they agreed with all those people. Then again, he also willingly put himself in danger on top of that. Hopefully whoever is responsible is willing to take the blame.

Kaden led the way to Main Street, Ratchet looking around curiously until Kaden stopped them in front of a big hoverboard shop. Ratchet paused looking at Kaden, then the shop, and then to Kaden again. He looked shocked, "U-uh, why are we here?" Kaden smirked, slipping the yellow note out of his pocket and waving it in the air between them. "When were you gonna tell me about this, huh?"

Ratchet looked confused, "I-Uh...I thought that was some sort of prank or something. Who even is Skid McMarx? Am I supposed to know him?"

Kaden's eyes widened, "Kid, he is practically a pro racer! You got noticed because of your skills, even though you are just a beginner.'