[4] Eyes All Around

I came to feed you all content!

I know you are eager! Enjoy the chapter!

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

[Ratchet]

It turns out that he was spending the next day with Kaden.

It's not that he wasn't excited to spend time with the man, Kaden was a really cool guy. It's just that he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong and out of place. Perhaps it was him? Maybe he was just overreacting, right? He probably was, considering he was the one with no memories of his past. It only made sense that he would be wary of everything.

But that did not change his rule :

Don't trust anyone

He watched as the man cleaned up after the breakfast they had, watching as Kaden went back and forth between the fridge and the sink. He sighed, Kaden and Phoebe seemed nice enough, however. He couldn't find it in himself to even think about being suspicious of them, or even disliking them in anyways. Call him soft, but they were really nice...and-

Yeah, he was too soft. But no one needed to know that.

Kaden turned around when he was done, sighing happily as he made eye contact with the boy, "Well, we have a lot to do today! We're gonna go to the garage to finish my project and then deliver it to my real workplace, the lab!" He seemed excited, Ratchet couldn't help but smile at the man's enthusiasm. "Sounds like a plan." Ratchet replied, "But are you sure I won't be in the way?". Kaden laughed good-naturedly, "Nonsense! Besides, I don't want you sitting in this boring house all day long. Think of it as making up for all that time you wasted at the Medcenter!"

Ratchet couldn't agree more with that statement.

He stood up, following the man to his garage. It was obvious that he was recently in there since most of the scattered blueprints and such were neatly stacked in piles. The papers that were scattered yesterday were nowhere in sight, presumably filed away. Kaden went out of sight for a moment while Ratchet looked around at the spare parts in a nearby cardboard box on the floor. Kaden pulled a tarp off his project, wheeling the table it was on near his work desk. "Okay, so I know this might be boring for you to watch, but maybe you'll learn a little something." Kaden glanced over to the boxes on the floor, which Ratchet was looking at previously, "Or you can fiddle with some things in there, I don't need them for anything."

Ratchet awkwardly looked around, glancing from the box, to Kaden, then back at the box again. Kaden looked like he began working on his...whatever the heck it was (Ratchet couldn't tell) and he didn't want to just stand around awkwardly either. He walked over to the box, looking over what was in it. It mostly looked like junk and spare parts that could never be used for anything. There were also some dead or broken devices in there as well (some even looked like they had been on fire once).

With his curiosity taking over, he got down to his knees, shifting some things around and seeing if he found anything of interest. A blue wire here, a fried red wire there, something that looked like a Holo-TV remote, and at the bottom of the box...alone oval-shaped object.

He reached in to pick it up, avoiding the sharp edges of other scraps that were in the box. He held it up to the light, analyzing the object.

It was a communicator...or a phone. One of the two, Ratchet really couldn't tell at this point, the thing looked half fried. Kaden looked over as he heard the noise come from the box while Ratchet was looking. "Oh, that thing-" he said, tightening a bolt on his work, "-is obsolete. It's an old communicator I used to use years ago. It does the job. Well, not anymore now that it's broken. You get what I'm saying."